586,103 active members*
2,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: New machine build

Have you started working on cable management yet? I've made a few of my own brackets to hold the cable chains although I'm not 100% satisfied with my set up right now. Gotta say this part of the build is not very well laid out, and I was expecting better given the quality of the rest of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew22 View Post
    Have you started working on cable management yet? I've made a few of my own brackets to hold the cable chains although I'm not 100% satisfied with my set up right now. Gotta say this part of the build is not very well laid out, and I was expecting better given the quality of the rest of the machine.
    I haven't had a chance to make mounts yet. You have to remember we got the first machines and they weren't total done right, so to kind of mention how the quality of this part of the machine isn't up to the same as the rest of the machine is kind unfair given everyone knew the machines weren't total finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mike2768 View Post
    I haven't had a chance to make mounts yet. You have to remember we got the first machines and they weren't total done right, so to kind of mention how the quality of this part of the machine isn't up to the same as the rest of the machine is kind unfair given everyone knew the machines weren't total finished.

I'm not trying to be unfair to anyone, and I've also spent lots of time talking about how well other parts of the machine are made. To give you a little more perspective on my frustrations, I'm not sure how long you had to wait for your machine, but I've been waiting since April, so 9 months. I originally wanted to buy a Demon, however I ended up with the Inmotion kit as a compromise because the specs were similar and it would allow me to get up and running. This machine isn't a radically new design either, so I think it's fair to expect things like cable management to be well thought through.

Since these machines are designed in Solidworks there's really no reason to not have all this stuff figured out. That should be the whole point of a kit in the first place, as the greatest value to me is that I don't have to source one off parts from machine shops and fabricators like I would if I had designed and built my own machine. Laser cutting is quite cheap once you have a little bit of volume and it would have made life a lot easier.

This assembly has taken both of us over 1 month, and I'm not sure about you, but the initial frame and gantry went together in a couple of days for me, including shimming and alignment. Up to that point, that's a well thought out design. I don't think it's out of line that after at least 9 months of development, things like custom brackets for holding cable chain would still be an afterthought. It's also making me question the thinking behind the gantry uprights, which only leave 6" clearance under the gantry (4.5" with a table top) despite a full 12" of Z travel. Hopefully Inmotion will make an effort to fix these issues in the near future. There's a lot of good things about this machine, but these issues really need to be resolved before it can fully live up to its potential.

New machine build

I'm not trying to be unfair to anyone, and I've also spent lots of time talking about how well other parts of the machine are made. To give you a little more perspective on my frustrations, I'm not sure how long you had to wait for your machine, but I've been waiting since April, so 9 months. I originally wanted to buy a Demon, however I ended up with the Inmotion kit as a compromise because the specs were similar and it would allow me to get up and running. This machine isn't a radically new design either, so I think it's fair to expect things like cable management to be well thought through.

Since these machines are designed in Solidworks there's really no reason to not have all this stuff figured out. That should be the whole point of a kit in the first place, as the greatest value to me is that I don't have to source one off parts from machine shops and fabricators like I would if I had designed and built my own machine. Laser cutting is quite cheap once you have a little bit of volume and it would have made life a lot easier.

This assembly has taken both of us over 1 month, and I'm not sure about you, but the initial frame and gantry went together in a couple of days for me, including shimming and alignment. Up to that point, that's a well thought out design. I don't think it's out of line that after at least 9 months of development, things like custom brackets for holding cable chain would still be an afterthought. It's also making me question the thinking behind the gantry uprights, which only leave 6" clearance under the gantry (4.5" with a table top) despite a full 12" of Z travel. Hopefully Inmotion will make an effort to fix these issues in the near future. There's a lot of good things about this machine, but these issues really need to be resolved before it can fully live up to its potential.
    Ok, these machines weren't for sale 9 month ago, when you say you have waited 9 Months it sounds like you bought and paid for a machine and waited 9 month to get it. It like saying I waited one year for a 2018 car. Unless you bought and paid for a machine and didn't get it then you can say you waited 9 months. The machine just went on sale today I believe.

I'm just saying that's all.

Nice work Mike, it's very interesting to see your work for me, I hope you will succed

very interested in this one too, I can't wait to see how it cuts!
    Do you have any more info on the extrusions? The website says 80x174mm... is 80 the bigger width? what is the smaller width of the gantry extrusion?

Here's a possible solution to Y-Axis cable management. It would require a minor redesign of the piece connecting the Y ball nut housing to the Y-Axis plate. The tray could be fabricated out of sheet metal or aluminum angle.

Attachment 342580

Quote Originally Posted by stuarttaylor00 View Post
    very interested in this one too, I can't wait to see how it cuts!
    Do you have any more info on the extrusions? The website says 80x174mm... is 80 the bigger width? what is the smaller width of the gantry extrusion?
    Hi yes the 80 is the width, so the cut out of the extrusion is a notched 40mm x 94mm where the ballscrew mounts. These machines will cut awesome because of how Strong and stiff they are. I'll have a motor kit very soon.

For Y cable, it does not have to be right up against the beam. I used a couple of steel Unistrut brackets to extend my channel away a bit to clear stuff. Mounts on the bottom of the gantry extrusion. Then you can mount a steel stud or channel as normal and then the wire raceway in that.

Lee

High desert, I think that would be a great solution for the Y axis. Very minimal work for the machine shop and it would keep assembly going smoothly. I've cobbled together a bracket that mounts to the back of the Z plate for my machine and it will work, but i don't particularly like it as it doesn't look as clean and professional as the rest of the machine. Your solution would keep everything looking much cleaner

Subscribing to watch your build come together. My machine is on the way!

Page 3 of 3 123