586,510 active members*
3,288 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123

New machine build

This machine is the LC (low cost) series machine, InmotionCnc will be handling this machine in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: New machine build

Update: installing the Z axis,

Finally got my linear rails and bearings from SBC so I'm back to assembly again. Aside from a few hiccups it all went fairly well. Do you have a plan for fine tuning your rails and making sure everything is perfectly square yet? I measured a .012" bow in the extrusions over 60". Pretty damn good for an extrusion, however I'm planning on shimming under the rails to get it as straight as I can. I've measured the bed with a level and straight edge and visually it looks pretty good, but slight amount of twist would be really hard to see. I might end up using some tensioned piano wire between each corner to check for twist. Have you tried anything to measure your frame?

Do you feel like your frame and legs are rigid enough? I've got my machine on leveling casters, and I've noticed when I roll it on a not so even shop floor that there's a little flex. I'm going to put some braces between the bottom of the legs, and I also may add in some extra bracing in the corners to make it extra stiff.

The electrical and control side (which is not my area of expertise) is my next task. I'm using the leadshine easy servos and drivers, and a UC300 motion control board, how about you? I've run into a couple of difficulties with regards to hooking up the motion controller to the drivers and it would be great to compare notes on how to accomplish this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew22 View Post
    Finally got my linear rails and bearings from SBC so I'm back to assembly again. Aside from a few hiccups it all went fairly well. Do you have a plan for fine tuning your rails and making sure everything is perfectly square yet? I measured a .012" bow in the extrusions over 60". Pretty damn good for an extrusion, however I'm planning on shimming under the rails to get it as straight as I can. I've measured the bed with a level and straight edge and visually it looks pretty good, but slight amount of twist would be really hard to see. I might end up using some tensioned piano wire between each corner to check for twist. Have you tried anything to measure your frame?

Do you feel like your frame and legs are rigid enough? I've got my machine on leveling casters, and I've noticed when I roll it on a not so even shop floor that there's a little flex. I'm going to put some braces between the bottom of the legs, and I also may add in some extra bracing in the corners to make it extra stiff.

The electrical and control side (which is not my area of expertise) is my next task. I'm using the leadshine easy servos and drivers, and a UC300 motion control board, how about you? I've run into a couple of difficulties with regards to hooking up the motion controller to the drivers and it would be great to compare notes on how to accomplish this.
    Good to hear your on your way again. I have not measured my frame yet, I'm not to worried about it, I will just surface my spoil board to get the table flat to the machine. As for the legs, yes they do need bracing in between them. I may also box in the bottom, enclose it with some material (don't know yet what) this will make the machine super Stiff and strong. The motor kit I haven't got one yet I'm thinking leadshine steppers and drives.

Another update assembling the Z axis,

Quote Originally Posted by mike2768 View Post
    Good to hear your on your way again. I have not measured my frame yet, I'm not to worried about it, I will just surface my spoil board to get the table flat to the machine. As for the legs, yes they do need bracing in between them. I may also box in the bottom, enclose it with some material (don't know yet what) this will make the machine super Stiff and strong. The motor kit I haven't got one yet I'm thinking leadshine steppers and drives.

The problem with a slight twist in the frame is that it would translate to the spoil board as well, because the only reference point for mounting the linear rails is the lip on the extrusion. Now if you had a giant surface plate to assemble on it it would be easy to make sure the rails are parallel and on the same plane. That being said there will be a limit to how accurate it needs to be as it's not a VMC, and a small amount of twist may not make a significant impact on machine performance. I plan on machining some aluminum on my router so I'm being fairly obsessive about how well I can dial in the initial set up.

If you decide to go with leadshine, do a little research into shipping and duties before you order and you could save yourself a couple hundred $.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew22 View Post
    The problem with a slight twist in the frame is that it would translate to the spoil board as well, because the only reference point for mounting the linear rails is the lip on the extrusion. Now if you had a giant surface plate to assemble on it it would be easy to make sure the rails are parallel and on the same plane. That being said there will be a limit to how accurate it needs to be as it's not a VMC, and a small amount of twist may not make a significant impact on machine performance. I plan on machining some aluminum on my router so I'm being fairly obsessive about how well I can dial in the initial set up.

If you decide to go with leadshine, do a little research into shipping and duties before you order and you could save yourself a couple hundred $.
    I hear ya on getting it as square as possible. Once I have it all assembled I'll connect a dial indicator and run it down from the gantry beam and measure along the profile. Then losses the rails and adjust. Ya I'm not trying for a VMC type squareness. As long as I get the X axis rails parallel to the top of the profile/table top I'll be happy, as close as can get them.

Do you have any idea when this machine might become available? I checked InMotionCNC.com and it seems the site is not yet active. What will be the selling price in USD, if you know.

Thanks, any information would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
    Do you have any idea when this machine might become available? I checked InMotionCNC.com and it seems the site is not yet active. What will be the selling price in USD, if you know.

Thanks, any information would be appreciated.
    I think but don't quote me around the $4000 mark.

Thanks, will be following with interest.

Curious about the ball screw size and thickness of gantry uprights and end plates. From your pics it would appear to be 25mm screws and either 3/4 or 1" plate (actually I see variations in thickness). Can you shed some light on that?

Quote Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
    Curious about the ball screw size and thickness of gantry uprights and end plates. From your pics it would appear to be 25mm screws and either 3/4 or 1" plate (actually I see variations in thickness). Can you shed some light on that?
    Yes the up rights are 1" the ballscrews are 25mm and the connector end plates are 1/2" all T6 aluminum

Thanks again, Mike.
    I'm currently helping a friend put together his 40x60 PredatorX machine and have been impressed with the machine's rigidity (we hope it comes out square because there is little chance anything is going to move). While the one you're building might not be quite as sturdy, mainly due to the use of extrusions for the Y-Axis and end pieces, it certainly looks like it could be very close (those legs do look a little sketchy though). Hopefully the production kits will retain the 25mm ball screws and rails.

Hi following with much interest, I'm about to assemble the same kit, still waiting for ball screws, motors etc. Hoping you'll post some pictures of wiring when you get to it so we can compare notes. This is the only area I'm a little concerned about. Which stepper driver are you planning on using?

Can u post the picture of machining these beautifully machined parts... is that machined on professional CNC machine or router?
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid View Post
    Can u post the picture of machining these beautifully machined parts... is that machined on professional CNC machine or router?
    They where all machines in a VMC

New machine build

I heard the Inmotioncnc site will be up tonight

It's been a couple of days and still nothing at inmotioncnc.com. Do I have the correct URL?

New machine build

More info coming real soon, Just basic site up, INMotion CNC – DIY CNC Router

Thanks, it's looking good!

Page 2 of 3 123