586,036 active members*
3,558 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Preparing to buy...need help

Hello All,

I have been dabbling in CNC for around 4 years or so now. I started with the buildyourowncnc.com "book" build and have been tinkering with it ever since. I have successfully make a hand (small hand) full of items. With the MDF frame it seemed like there was always something going wrong, or breaking, or flexing etc. its time to upgrade. I have had my eye on CNCRP ever since i completed my build and wanted MMOORREEE ha.

Anyways, pending the sale of an asset of mine, I will have some extra money that i can "invest" into a machine. I was hoping to get some feedback on which route I should go. At first thought, I am thinking i would go with a 4x8 build to future proof my needs. I know it wont be everyday that i would need to cut a full sheet, but hey, i have the room. I am uncertain on weather i should go with a standard or the Pro though. I guess I'm having a hard time to telling the major difference between the two? From what I can tell though, is that if i were to go with the standard, i could potentially upgrade to the pro in the future if needed. Am I right?

I see that there is a hardware only kit, in which you have to hunt down the rest of the missing parts. is this route worth the extra work? The same goes for the electronics package. I plan to use NEMA 34's ( i currently have 23's on my machine now) in which i see there is a DIY kit for, but it seems that some features are missing compared to the plug and play one.

For the final piece in helping me decide is my budget. I will have roughly 6k to spend, with a little wiggle room if needed. I currently have the needed software, computer, a router (though would like to upgrade to a spindle if i can swing it), dust collection and some bits. I plan to sell the electronics of the old machine once i get the new one up and running. I also will either need to build a table for this thing to sit on, or get the table kit.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Thanks
    BR

Re: Preparing to buy...need help

I'm not familiar with the differences so my info is all anecdotal.

The short version is I've never once regretted purchasing a better tool but I've often regretted purchasing a lesser, cheaper tool. And the reality is that when I outgrew that tool or needed to upgrade because it was simply infrerior, it cost me more money in the long run as well as some semblance of frustration.

So I'd say go with the Pro (linear guides) and go with the 4x8 if you can even remotely swing it. I'd go so far as to say hold off and save up if you need to as it will cost you quite a bit more money and time if you were to upgrade later. I know it is easy for me to say but won't it be nice to not have to even worry whether you made the right choice? You may second guess yourself and spend more money to upgrade later but I guarantee you won't second guess yourself if you were to buy the Pro 4x8 from the beginning. The only upgrade I know of from the CNCRP Pro is a much more expensive commercial machine, which when I priced was at least double the cost.

Hopefully someone else can give you more specifics on the individual machines but I'd say my advice still holds up regardless. Nice decision to have.

Based on my own limited experience, which is fairly similar to your situation:

Save more and get the best you can. Don't settle for less because you're excited to pull the trigger right away.

When i got interested in CNC I started out with a shapeoko - followed by 16 months of upgrading and tinkering trying to get the most out of a machine that just wasn't quite capable of what i wanted.

What i learned from all of that is spending a little (or even a lot) extra for convenience goes a long way. The Plug and Play is the way to go - no more messing around with electronics, just cutting.

Then there is Standard vs Pro - if you are probably going to upgrade in future, why not save up a bit more and get the Pro now? Will save a lot of headache in the future.

The PRO with Plug and Play is still way more affordable than most turn-key solutions. The value is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ColletandBit View Post
    Save more and get the best you can. Don't settle for less because you're excited to pull the trigger right away.
    Yeah, this is pretty much me. I WWAANNNTTTT it NNOOWWW!!! ha

The PRO with Plug and Play is still way more affordable than most turn-key solutions. The value is fantastic.
    yeah but i think of it like htis, i can get the standard 4x8 and the plug and play for 6400ish. getting the pro would push that up to another 1300. Plus i still have to plan for a stand for this to sit on. Has anyone found one of those money trees?

$1300 is a small price to pay for a much better machine.

Surplus linear bearings for my DIY router cost me more than that.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

ha, thats what im trying to convince myself of.

It's a night and day difference between a standard machine and a linear rail machine.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

think in terms of opportunity cost.

how many more hours of work would you need to do to save up the extra 1300?

VS

the disassembly and reassembly of an upgrade + the slower machine time of the standard CNC

the disassembly and reassembly of an upgrade + the slower machine time of the standard CNC
    I was thinking more about the accuracy and cost/time to upgrade a machine later but you bring up a very good point in the time saved over time by having a more robust machine that can work faster. Even if it is just a hobbyist machine, that time will add up big time.

I built a Standard CNCRP four years ago. I recently built the new Pro 4x4 with linear rails. Do yourself a favor and buy the pro! There is no comparison, it's easier to build, align and it's much smoother.
    I built my Nema 34 electronics by buying everything separately, and I saved a little, but it took me two weeks!
    I have a 2700 sq ft shop just for hobbies, so I had the room for a 4x8, and I am kicking myself for not going bigger! Actually, I would build a 5x8 or 5x10 - I started buying wholesale Baltic birch by the pallet, and 5x5 costs less per sq ft.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Looks like the consensus is to save a little extra and go with the PRO machine. What i was depending on to fund this whole deal has fell through a couple times now. If no one bites here in the next week or so, ill probaby have to end up waiting until spring rolls around....fingers crossed

I hate to beat a dead horse, but can anyone suggest a spindle/VFD for my future build? I went to the Spindle/VFD threads and they all seem to be asking for help on how to wire theirs up due to the lack of a manual etc. CNCRP's option is a little steep for my budget. Does anyone had any suggestions? I think id like to lean towards a water cooled solution but could be convinced otherwise. Also, i would be handy to be able to integrate this into the plug and play system for MACH control.

Thanks
    BR

Quote Originally Posted by bigred8080 View Post
    I hate to beat a dead horse, but can anyone suggest a spindle/VFD for my future build? I went to the Spindle/VFD threads and they all seem to be asking for help on how to wire theirs up due to the lack of a manual etc. CNCRP's option is a little steep for my budget. Does anyone had any suggestions? I think id like to lean towards a water cooled solution but could be convinced otherwise. Also, i would be handy to be able to integrate this into the plug and play system for MACH control.

Thanks
    BR
    I bought a cheap chinese 2.2kw spindle, air cooled, on ebay and a Hitachi wj200 vfd. I bought a Amphenol plug(206044-1) to plug in to their CRP800. Speed is controlled by mach3 and turns on and off.

You might try Ugra CNC; I bought my 2.2kw (3hp) from Andy before CNCRP offered theirs. Water-cooled - ~ $1000. Excellent after sale support.

I have an Ugra CNC water cooled spindle. I had it running as s companion on my KMB1 for a while. Its a decent spindle.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

I have a Chinese 2.2KW and VFD ER-25 collet. Bought it on ebay for about $300. Been wonderful!