586,094 active members*
3,999 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > FeatureCAM CAD/CAM > TRANSFER FEATURES BETWEEN DIFFERENT FILES?

TRANSFER FEATURES BETWEEN DIFFERENT FILES?

I'd like to store routine mold features-leader pin bores, snap ring grooves, core pin retainers, etc. as processes, and then apply them to new molds. My question is, is it possible
    1. To import features from another FC file, or
    2. Import tool paths and apply them to identical features in a new FC file.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Re: TRANSFER FEATURES BETWEEN DIFFERENT FILES?

You can usually just CTRL C and CTRL V (copy paste) features from one project to another. You will have to recreate curves if the dimensions change but the tool, speeds and feeds etc will all be the same. You can do this with surface machining where if you were to use the same sequence of tools for a mould, just copy a previous surface milling feature and paste it into your new project, then just reselect your surfaces and check surfaces and voila! Just be careful of milling depths and start points for gouges but saves a lot of time!

Re: TRANSFER FEATURES BETWEEN DIFFERENT FILES?

Well, that was easy! I tried this before, but apparently I had the cursor in the wrong location in the "recipient" project. Great information on the surface milling operations, thanks- I've been doing this within the same project, but hadn't realized one could do it across projects.
    I've also been working with Part Libraries, but haven't got the hang of this beyond a very tedious manual placement of each feature into the new project.
    Thanks for your response.