586,069 active members*
3,407 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > General Advice on Machining Multiple Faces of a Block

General Advice on Machining Multiple Faces of a Block

I only have limited experience on the CNC machine that I built and so far I've been successful using "wow tape" to hold down my stock which has been acrylic or MDF. I've purchased some aluminum stock and want to start milling some items out of aluminum. The first is this block:

Attachment 337104

I see that many people use expensive vices but I haven't come across how you can index your part once you rotate it to machine a 2nd side. I don't have edge finders on my CNC nor do I have a vice. Perhaps if my DOC are shallow I could continue to use the tape method for hold down but if that works I'm still left with how to rotate the stock and accurately set the new zero location when I make the 10mm and M3 holes on the side of the block shown in this picture.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

George

Re: General Advice on Machining Multiple Faces of a Block

get an edge finder,they are cheap!!!!

I purchased one several years ago, http://www.themakersguide.com/home/p...-edge-finder-2 but I never spent the time to figure out how to modify Mach3 to allow this to work.

So is this what is typically done and in your software when you go to machine the 2nd side you set your stock to be the same dimensions as the model.

Facing a block is done by using a vise that is squared to the table, and machining one surface at at time. It basically requires you to have a repeatable fixture whose position relative to the spindle axes is in a known position. You can "cheat" and use less precise methods to get there, but without a vise you will be introducing significant error in to any method you come up with... Here is a video of how to square a block on a mill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igfqYZPdQ78
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Great video. I especially like the tip to use a rod between the unfinished surface and the movable jaw of the vice. This didn't get into my situation of where I would then have to mill holes onto 2 faces but I assume that you would place the part in the vice and then use the edge finder to zero on a corner of the part?

Does anyone have suggestions on edge finders and vices? I've seen Orange Vise used but I think those are ridiculously expensive. I'm not afraid of spending money on a good tool that will last but since this is a hobby and I'm not shooting for less than "0.001" accuracy I might be able to save a few dollars. I already have a set of parallels so I have part of the tools needed.

Just checking back in to see what advice people have for edge finders and vice. Most of the edge finders that I saw had 1/2" shank diameter and my Bosch router can only handle 1/4" and 1/8"

Thanks again,
    George