586,493 active members*
1,505 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > MadCam post process not generating tool change

MadCam post process not generating tool change

Hi,
    Pretty newbie here, I'm trying to post process a job with 4 toolpaths and 3 tool changes. For some reason MadCam is not generating the tool change command between toolpaths. M6? I think. When I run the simulator all looks good but when I cut air the machine just continues without the stop to allow for a bit change. The file looks like there is no command for a tool change. Recalculated a couple of times and redid the complete tool paths with same result.Any thought?

Thanks!

Re: MadCam post process not generating tool change

Btw I'm using 64 bit Rhino and the MadCam plugin. I run Mach 3 on my machine. I have a 3 axis Raptor.

Ok tried to watch a couple of post videos on Utube, verified that all my tools were save, checked the options box to "save each toolpath in cutter tool child layers". No Luck, I noticed that the post file states "Tool changes: not specified in post processor"

My machine does not use tools changes so I do not know much about it , so hopefully Dan or Joakim chimes in here soon .

But are you sure you have the correct post prosessor selected for your machine , and you also have the option as a temp fix to place them manually until you get it solved

Thanks Gregore,
    I have 3 Axis machine and Mach3 chosen for my post processor so I think it's correct. I've created multi tool/ toolpath programs previously and its worked, I'm thinking I may have an issue with my model? The last thing I tried last night was too save all of my tools that I have created in a separate folder on my desktop. I had read a thread about permissions to the tool folder causing issues but it didn't work.

Looks like I may have figured it out. Not exactly sure but I redid the model with nothing but curves. I had a couple of curves that were not joined. then I reset the Rhino options for tolerances and the MadCam tolerances and to 8 threads. I also numbered the tools differently and set the options to nest the toolpaths. It looks like it worked so I guess I'll try and runit and see if I break that .042 bit, LOL

Glad you found a solution usually they the guys that are more in the know are quicker to jump in and help solve . You always have the option of emailing Joakim directly , but I think it is always better if the question can be asked publicly so answers can be here for others .

.042 That is massive wait until you get down to .004 then we can talk about small . Make sure you double checked the speeds and feeds even if it means phoning the manufacturer . I use Harvey tool for the small cutters and they are very helpful .

Also remember to be a little conservative on feeds and speeds if your run out is not excellent

Sorry, I've been away for a couple of weeks. To include a toolchange in your paths there needs to be a section in your post processor. It will look something like this:

*TOOL_CHANGE*
    N"lnbr" T"toolnr"M6 (TOOL CHANGE: "toolname")
    N"lnbr" G0"fixture_offset"
    *END_SECTION*

Do you have a section like this?

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Dan,
    Yes a have a variation of the M6 command now.