587,035 active members*
2,778 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

50w Chinese laser cutter needs help

I just received Chinese 50w laser cutter and installed current meter. When I am cutting with 65% its measure 10ma. Cutting with 90% its measure 16ma. For some reason it seems that cut is the best with 65%. I tried to cut 3mm white acrylic and I was able to cut with 65% power and 10mm per second speed. Min power was 65% and Max power was 65%. Also cut through was checked and power I put was also 65%. Does this seems normal or power is to low. Thanks in advance I am new in laser cutters and any help is appreciated.

Re: 50w Chinese laser cutter needs help

It doesn't sound far off. I doubt it is actually a 50W tube, there have been many that have been able to verify that the tubes are typically 40W tubes. You should be able to look at the label on the tube (if it came with one) to see what the nominal mA is for the tube. Running at 90% is typically going to overdrive the tube and it will fail sooner than it should. Check out https://www.youtube.com/user/SarbarMultimedia/videos he has posted many videos on his experience with the 50W Chinese laser cutter that he has.

Quote Originally Posted by makercut View Post
    It doesn't sound far off. I doubt it is actually a 50W tube, there have been many that have been able to verify that the tubes are typically 40W tubes. You should be able to look at the label on the tube (if it came with one) to see what the nominal mA is for the tube. Running at 90% is typically going to overdrive the tube and it will fail sooner than it should. Check out https://www.youtube.com/user/SarbarMultimedia/videos he has posted many videos on his experience with the 50W Chinese laser cutter that he has.
    I have checked those videos but he doesnt specify current. I am wondering do you guys use similar procentage and speed for cutting 3 mm acrylic

Anybody please? I am not sure if machine is in good working order

Seems good to me. I cut 3mm acrylic at 12mm/sec and 16ma with my '50 watt' SH-G350 laser and it's original tube. I will have to try 10ma and 10mm/sec.

Quote Originally Posted by bovegas View Post
    I have checked those videos but he doesnt specify current. I am wondering do you guys use similar procentage and speed for cutting 3 mm acrylic
    We have a 100W unit that we cut 10mm acrylic at 65% power and 10mm/sec. The numbers you are seeing sound about right. If you just set up your machine; check all the optics and make sure they are clean, then check alignment the mirrors and head. It is also key to know the focal length if the lens on the head and ensure that the distance to material is correct.

Hope this helps.