586,100 active members*
3,124 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

$25 million to solve the problem

I guess the guy from Virgin Airlines is teaming up with Gore to start a new contest. $25 million to the first person/people to develop a method to filter the C02 out of the atmosphere and reduce or reverse the greenhouse effect. Better get started though, you've only got five years according to the rules of the contest.

:cheers:
    I don't know much about anything but I know a little about everything....

Quote Originally Posted by cdlenterprises View Post
    I guess the guy from Virgin Airlines is teaming up with Gore to start a new contest. $25 million to the first person/people to develop a method to filter the C02 out of the atmosphere and reduce or reverse the greenhouse effect. Better get started though, you've only got five years according to the rules of the contest.

:cheers:
    ...and Branson is going to barf how much pollution for rides into space to observe the effects?

Hey, I got a idea! Hang ferns on his jets, so as they fly all over the globe they can convert evil CO2 into O!!

start planting more trees the ones the government use for all there buracratic bull sh*t paper work
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

I know it sounds silly...but why not use an industrial-sized CO2 scrubber...like the ones used in Rebreathers for SCUBA divers...trap the CO2 as frozen or liquid product...here in Wyoming we use CO2 to pressurize low-producing oil and gas wells...link five slow-producers with a manifold system...extra product and trapped CO2...I know it's a vicious circle, but until we quit clear-cutting trees or allow hemp to be grown legally (it grows 3 ft in a day in a good environment) we're never going to offset the "Oxygen Deficit" or whatever Al Gore calls it. Simple math...more people, more users, more consumption. No plants to offset...buildup of "high levels of CO2". I agree with the fizzissist Branson is part of the "problem" not the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by WYLD View Post
    I know it sounds silly...but why not use an industrial-sized CO2 scrubber...like the ones used in Rebreathers for SCUBA divers...trap the CO2 as frozen or liquid product...here in Wyoming we use CO2 to pressurize low-producing oil and gas wells...link five slow-producers with a manifold system...extra product and trapped CO2...I know it's a vicious circle, but until we quit clear-cutting trees or allow hemp to be grown legally (it grows 3 ft in a day in a good environment) we're never going to offset the "Oxygen Deficit" or whatever Al Gore calls it. Simple math...more people, more users, more consumption. No plants to offset...buildup of "high levels of CO2". I agree with the fizzissist Branson is part of the "problem" not the solution.
    The rebreather scrubbers would not be a net adsorber of CO2 because the active ingredients are obtained by heating a CO2 containing rock to drive of the CO2 so that it can then adsorb it again when it functions in the Rebreather.

Trapping CO2 from coal powered generating systems and then using it in oil well enhancement is being studied or actually in use on a small scale. I found this link http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf83.html and was amused by the name of the sponsoring organisation.

I am with you on the hemp. Hemp grown on marginal land for processing into biodiesel and chemical feedstock is probably more viable than ethanol from corn and would not artificially perturb corn prices possibly leading to higher food prices.

Hmm what we'd need is some type of Chlorophyll device that could convert the CO2 to Carbon and Oxygen and it'll have to be very efficient, maybe solar powered? You'd need a lot of these things. Some big clear area would be required, maybe a logged out forest or something? You'd also have to anchor these things in the ground so they dont blow away, maybe bury the bottom parts in the soil or something. I don't know what we couuld use, it's all too complex for my tiny brain.

Quote Originally Posted by higgrobot View Post
    Hmm what we'd need is some type of Chlorophyll device that could convert the CO2 to Carbon and Oxygen and it'll have to be very efficient, maybe solar powered? You'd need a lot of these things. Some big clear area would be required, maybe a logged out forest or something? You'd also have to anchor these things in the ground so they dont blow away, maybe bury the bottom parts in the soil or something. I don't know what we couuld use, it's all too complex for my tiny brain.
    Now there is a good proposal for a research project! I think we may safely predict it would be a success. Can we form a company and float an IPO?

Sounds like a tree to me...

kenny1

The simplest easiest route would be to simply replant all the deforested areas. HiggRobot you're pretty funny for a machinist. Instead of all this "research and development" for a technological wonder gadget to solve the problem, it would be easy to take a page from Mother Nature's notebook and plant more flora...hell, in China and India you could find all the cheap labor you need to replant their areas...in America I would suggest Ma & Pa get off their bon-bon loving asses and go down to a home improvement center or greenhouse and buy a half-dozen ornamental trees to plant. That would involve a little Manuel Labore, but that would be good for the SUV driving, latte-swilling, super-sized asses of most Middle-Americans. Or you could just offer homeless people and the unemployed a meal and $5 per tree...sure the bums would wander off after 1 or 2 trees were planted, but a lot of the unemployed would soon see the $$$ to be made for 8 hours of labor...if they got good at it they could make $200 a day. Or if they were planting seedling, $0.50 a pop. Just my 2c's.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny1 View Post
    Sounds like a tree to me...

kenny1
    Tree? what's that? never heard of it, i'm thinking of calling my device the "solar powered carbon dioxide to carbon and oxygen self regulating clean running self expanding conversion plant" or just plant for short, yes i may call it "plant"? but "tree" does sound good hmm plant..tree..plant..tree?? cant decide?

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I am with you on the hemp. Hemp grown on marginal land for processing into biodiesel and chemical feedstock is probably more viable than ethanol from corn and would not artificially perturb corn prices possibly leading to higher food prices.
    Actually, AlGore and many of the AGW crew have been experimenting with the byproducts of burning hemp, and it has given them a wealth of creative ideas.

That would be cannibis...I was referring to the reefer-free hemp...

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    Actually, AlGore and many of the AGW crew have been experimenting with the byproducts of burning hemp, and it has given them a wealth of creative ideas.
    I wish they would, with commercial hemp that is, you will choke before getting any creative ideas because the active ingedient is such low concentration.

so can 1 patent a tree and seed and win the 25 mill?

Did you know that there are few manufactures in CA already start to fabrication CO2 filter machine.

Forgot AlGore, I have a feel he just want to create name for himself then he run for president again.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

WYLD dont know what part of middle america your talking about but most of us out here in what is known as flyover country are running our ass's off trying to make enough to buy bean's to put on the table and pay our taxes and buy gas A better aproch would be render the treehugger's and polition's into dieselfuel and the secondary byproduct would be the reduction of hot air they produce as for the warming thing where in our third week of 0's at night and leas than freezing everyday so I say bring it on I would like nothing more than to see the gas company go broke from lack of sales !!!! Still cold in the midwest Kevin

Just curious what the price of Gas is in your country? over here we pay about $US4.00 per US Gallon, we mostly drive 4 and 6 cylinder cars.

I have seen the size of some of Americas vehicles and they are just freaking HUMUNGOUES compared to our tiny things, i don't understand why they need to be so huge???

Humingus

I guese to haul our oversize ass's around. $2.13 a gallon us of which I think somthing like $.75 or more is tax Wouldent mind having a holden utility kind of a downsized ElCamino with 50's body styling GM could introduce it over here and everyone would think it was something new carry on down under
    Kevin

Well, We Australians also have huge Asses, cept we call them Arses, so that can't be the reason for your Monster sized vehicles. I had a look at an Ford F350 at an expo and i could almost fit my car in the back of the thing! It's like, what the fudge would anyone want such a freakin huge thing like that for?? I'm pretty sure the only reason Americans drive big monster cars like that is because they have cheap fuel (gas). In the UK the price of fuel or gas would be about $US 7.67, they have even smaller cars than us

Btw, we Australians invented the ute back in the 1930's, this is what they look like today..yeah i know it's got a Chevy LS1 V8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Holden%20Commodore%20SS%20Ute%201%20-%201024x768.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by higgrobot View Post
    Well, We Australians also have huge Asses, cept we call them Arses, so that can't be the reason for your Monster sized vehicles. I had a look at an Ford F350 at an expo and i could almost fit my car in the back of the thing! It's like, what the fudge would anyone want such a freakin huge thing like that for?? I'm pretty sure the only reason Americans drive big monster cars like that is because they have cheap fuel (gas). In the UK the price of fuel or gas would be about $US 7.67, they have even smaller cars than us

Btw, we Australians invented the ute back in the 1930's, this is what they look like today..yeah i know it's got a Chevy LS1 V8
    Well some of us americans actualy have a use for our over sized vehicals it may be hauling equipment, like tractors, dozers, and things some of us just have to dam many kids so we buy very larg S.U.V.S to haul there kids and have enough room to keep from killing them, then other americans just have insecurity issuses, so they think that they are better than every one else so they buy big vehicals, them it becomes a competion to see who can have the biggest vehical, or as my wife says they are compensating for there small man hood LOL
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Page 1 of 4 123