586,103 active members*
2,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > How can CNCzone be made better?
Page 1 of 3 123

How can CNCzone be made better?

I'd like the members input how what you want to see or added to CNCzone? How can we make it better? I've staid on top of getting faster servers and keeping the site software uptodate so what else can we do?

Paul,
    I am not sure how to make it better but I want to thank you for keeping up with the speed and also no extra's unless you want to go to them. I frequent this site and one other (rccanada) and am a member of quite a few others which I don't really check. I have a pop up stopper and have never been dumped from here. Knowing the way you have been operating the Zone I am sure you will make it better.
    Thanks for letting me be here as I enjoy the topics and still learning.
    John

The success of the zone may become it's Achilles heel, to much info to sort through. Maybe new posts filter by Forum. Or subscribed forums. Not sure the answer, but some way to provide focus to the users interests if they desire it.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

I'm really happy here. Best board I visit and I regualrly go to 5 every night.

chat room will be nice, user get help... instance.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

This is BY FAR the best board I visit.

'They" (whoever "they" are) say there's always room for improvement, but I always say there has to be a limit. Simple is better.

I have no requests at the moment, but like others - I want to thank you, Paul for bringing such a great site to us.

And by the way - when are you going to fill us in on this member ranking thingy because one of these days, I'd like to get off this distinguished road I seem to be stuck on....is it an endless journey with no destination?

:wave:

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

I have one suggestion. It's prolly a huge one... Search is like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack. I agree with PMINMO...the success tends to be the Achilles heel...information overload. Things get buried too quickly...maybe more sub-forums? I've noticed that there are specific model forums, which is great for those users. Maybe some additional categories? I'm not *****ing, cuz I love the sight. Just want to be able to find stuff that I found once and wasn't smart enough to bookmark. Like that little blue benchtop CNC metalpunch that I saw in a forum that somebody had linked to...can't remember the website and can't remember which forum.

Quote Originally Posted by WYLD View Post
    I have one suggestion. It's prolly a huge one... Search is like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack. I agree with PMINMO...the success tends to be the Achilles heel...information overload. Things get buried too quickly...maybe more sub-forums? I've noticed that there are specific model forums, which is great for those users. Maybe some additional categories? I'm not *****ing, cuz I love the sight. Just want to be able to find stuff that I found once and wasn't smart enough to bookmark. Like that little blue benchtop CNC metalpunch that I saw in a forum that somebody had linked to...can't remember the website and can't remember which forum.
    Something like this?

http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showp...e/12/limit/all

http://www.aircastle.biz/

How can CNCzone be made better?
    I have a couple, how about a personal page/blog (homepage) for each member.
    Not a page that anyone else can post on. The "Public Profile" isn't what I'm asking for.

Also why can't we post (embed) youtube/google videos here on the zone? When all you can do is post a link to a video, all your doing is sending someone else your traffic.
    The more traffic you keep here, the more banner clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by newtexas2006 View Post
    chat room will be nice, user get help... instance.
    The zone had a chat room once upon a time, problem was nobody ever used it.

I wouldn't have a clue how to emplement, how about some form of sticky database where the solid information, tips, tech, and such can be catolog'd and stored ! OH what a work load that would be to set-up ...... or would that be the wiki thingy ..... I like many others have a difficult time finding specific info and i know its been posted repeatedly.
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

The zone is great and has a lot of info, however it is scattered amongst too many posts.
    Maybe an organizational project where:
    1- members be handled a certain topic would search the information and then
    2- pass the found info to another group of members with greater knowledge who could sort what stays and what goes, then
    3-the sorted info passed to others who will organize and create a robust one stop FAQ with the info within a special section in the forums with option to maybe download the whole file for easy access offline.

Just an idea.

If the search topics are narrowed the load on each member to find the info will not be a burden and hopefully it could be accomplished.
    Myself I have poor organizational skills but I am willing to spend time on searching posts for useful replies.

Once this is in place maintaining and updating will be easier.
    This could also lower the load on server as the info will be centralized and multiple posts on the same topic could be avoided.
    A special emphasis should be made to newer users that they do read the gathered information prior to posting.

The zone has a good number of members with deep knowledge and years of experience and some very good replies are shoveled by new posts created everyday. Retyping same answers over and over is not very interesting.

Konstantin.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by WYLD View Post
    I have one suggestion. It's prolly a huge one... Search is like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.
    I also can't get the Zone's search engine to work well. Just wonderring, Google's groups search engine works well, can it somehow be used to just search CNCzone?

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    The zone had a chat room once upon a time, problem was nobody ever used it.

.....you calling me a nobody? (chair)

I remembered having a chat room here. I went there a few times and there was a huge echo (empty), so I left - never to return.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I'll second that!

Search works good for me.

Put CNCZone hats in the CNCzone shop link on the home page, and include free shipping to Australia... well it was worth a shot

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    Also why can't we post (embed) youtube/google videos here on the zone? .
    Erm, I have youtube vids embedded on my router build... is that bad?, sorry if I wasn't supposed to do that(chair)

Russell.

Information is getting harder to find here. Too much to sort through.

Quote Originally Posted by rcrabb View Post
    Information is getting harder to find here. Too much to sort through.
    sorry rcrabb.
    how about a hydraulics forum? very important part of linear motion.
    love the site, very knowlegeable and courtious people here.
    havn't seen an ass yet, and hope i don't.
    keep up the good work.

dang it's cold
    ready to go fishing

Thank you, SWITCHER!

You're a gentleman and a scholar. That was the exact post and link I was looking for. Hey Everybody!! Listen up!!
    Hear Ye, Hear Ye...SWITCHER is the new search engine!
    I really appreciate it...I should have my new workshop set up in a couple of months...this is going in it. I have some projects underway that I'm sure all of you can appreciate. Hopefully, some it will be useful to members on this site.

Page 1 of 3 123