586,100 active members*
2,743 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > How can CNCzone be made better?
Page 2 of 3 123
    CNCZone now shows embedded videos. Thanks Paul!

Larger avatars.

This is a great site, thanks for providing it cncadmin.

One thing, probably an easy change, and have seen this on other forums. Not sure of the correct term, but would like bigger mouse-over tips, when I do view new posts, then hovering over the title of a topic with cursor, I get maybe half a sentence and most of the time it says something like "hello everyone..." or "help a newbie..." Is there a setting to up this to maybe 4-6 sentences or more to get at least the first paragraph to get a better feel of what the topic is about.

Also another thing, thread subscriptions, It would be nice if a topic that I have posted to (and automatically subscribed), sends ALL subsequent responses as email notifications instead of just one notification until I visit the thread again. If you were to implement this, I would only allow it for those that have made a post to the thread to get all subsequent posts notifications (until unsubscribing from said topic). If you merely subscribe without posting then you would only get one notifcation, maybe this would encourage some extra posts to be made. Not sure how intensive server-wise it would be to send this extra notifications.

Paul, I much prefered and used the 'time members were on' in the last 24, rather than new members today, I don't think anyone maybe finds it usefull to look at who new members are?
    my 2¢.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Paul, I much prefered and used the 'time members were on' .....
    Or maybe a "last visited" time stamp..... ?

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Over all I think you have done a great job mixing the subjects and ads that pertain to them. When I first found this place via Google it took a moment to narrow down what I wanted but, before long between the posts from others and the links to advertisers (I followed many) I was able to do what I wanted to do and that was build a machine. In short the mix of knowledge and advertisers (more knowledge) appears to be good here and that may be why there is hundreds of people here at any given time. I do understand some folks looking down on others about their spelling and grammar (as I have seen in several places here) but spelling and grammar is no good measurement of intelligence, it's mostly a reflection of their area in the world they grew up. Back to making it better..

I do agree with an earlier post about personal project pages that can be supported by the person (a pay service) or by ads (a free page), then possibly a chart system (split in different interests) based on user votes and traffic to the project or some other algorithm that makes sense.

being able to close threads that I started would be helpfull kinda like the RCGROUPS you also visit.

and maybe if a thread gets too long the admin should tell the thread starter to start a part 2 (not a problem now but it will be)

and yes the search engine could use some specificity like already stated. It would be nice to be able to search just a thread or a group of threads.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Would it be possible to have instant notification for forums which have messages or threads added? Ei, I get a daily email showing what threads have been changed, I'd sure love to get an instant message as soon as a new thread is posted or a message is added to a thread. Often, I only check my email for new posts on threads I'm watching but miss the new threads until later that evening when I have more time to browse the threads..

Not sure if that's clear enough but...

It's a great forum which needs nothing really, but since you asked

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by JerryFlyGuy View Post
    Would it be possible to have instant notification for forums which have messages or threads added?
    I just use "Today's Posts". It gives you all the newest posts. Since you're here everyday (right?), you should see every new post.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I do use Newest Post alot but I read my email even more and having instant notification of a thread or post would make it easier to follow threads or forums of interest rather than going through 1-10 pages of posts. It would make the best of both worlds.

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor View Post
    being able to close threads that I started would be helpfull kinda like the RCGROUPS you also visit.

and maybe if a thread gets too long the admin should tell the thread starter to start a part 2 (not a problem now but it will be)

and yes the search engine could use some specificity like already stated. It would be nice to be able to search just a thread or a group of threads.

Those are great ideas

Quote Originally Posted by newtexas2006 View Post
    chat room will be nice, user get help... instance.

That's done.

Quote Originally Posted by rcrabb View Post
    Information is getting harder to find here. Too much to sort through.

Try the google search on the top over every page.

Yeah, the google search works great. I never realized it searched this site. I always thought it was the standard google web search.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

I think it's pretty much great the way it is. If I was a wiseguy I would say get a few more hot chicks in here and refill the beer vending machine more often. But, it all honesty, it's the best board of it's kind with some great and very helpful folks.

Oh yeah... hey... spellcheck, you have bold, italics and all the other stuff I hardly every use. But spellcheck would be great.
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by sdantonio View Post
    Oh yeah... hey... spellcheck, you have bold, italics and all the other stuff I hardly every use. But spellcheck would be great.
    You can add one to your browser toolbar, Mozilla Firefox has one as well.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I did make a post yesterday saying don't include subjects such as global warming, (implying also subjects like terrorism, american politics, etc.) as this is a truly international forum but as ynneb later said no one forces us to read or reply to these posts so I guess he is right.
    Thanks for the tip about the google search to search this site.
    Other than that, this is a truly great site.

what about being able to save threads as favourites like you can with IE
    sometimes i see something interesting or a nice design and i either forget about it or have a hard time finding it ,
    suppose i could save it in my IE but that is aready a mess of everything under the net

Exclamation Mouseover Javascript added to Threaded view?

Great Site -Great job Paul - how do you ever find time to play with all the toys?

I've been trying out the "alternate view", or Threaded Mode - I like it. I can catch up quickly by picking the bits I'm keen on at the time. The Linear Mode is JUST TOO much information and Hybrid Mode, is just that - so it gives the overview look of an outline - but with all the threads linear - too much information.

If the cursor (in the Threaded View) would give a complete "flyout" (mouseover javascript) of the entire message - minus attachments, pics, sig, avitar, etc, the reader sees all the bits in the context of the OUTLINE-like view. This would just like in the overview presented when looking at New Posts. There would be no need to open the individual post for all the details. That done, the reader could then press on to the next post reading the "flyout", and so on.
    For those posts with attachments - the reader still has the option to open in context.

Does that make any sense? Seems like it would take advantage of the Java/hypertext capabilities and make long threads more readable.

I'll try a picture - just gotta get it loaded.

The other thing - I gotta figure how to get a post in the right spot
    It seems I was able to bump this into spot number 34 (maybe a fault of the threaded view) when it should have been later in sequence.
    JUST ADDED: Yep, this is in the correct slot when viewed in Linear Mode.

:cheers: Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails threaded viewport.bmp  
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    what about being able to save threads as favourites [snip]
    Derstrap, actually you already can. If your on a thread that you'd like to keep as a 'favorite' of sorts, you can go to the menu bar which is just below the main menu bar [which has "newposts", "Members list", "search" etc on it..] Select "Thread Tools" and the go to the bottom where it says "Subscribe to thread". This will email you [if you so choose] every time a new post is added to a thread, then if you click "User CP" up in the main menu, this will bring you to your "Command Post" [at least I think thats what CP stands for] and from there you can see ALL the threads which you are "Subscribed" to, if your wanting to make them more "favorite" than that.. I'm not sure how to do it

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy

Page 2 of 3 123