586,069 active members*
3,995 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Hurco BMC40 Hard Drive Replace

Hurco BMC40 Hard Drive Replace

Hi,
    Quick questions for any of you hurco heads.
    Have a corrupted hard drive for a bmc40 running ultimax 3.
    Is it possible to replace it with a hard drive from a bmc 50 or would i run into any problems?
    Failing that, does anybody have a boot file and utility disk required to redo my old hard drive.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Hurco BMC40 Hard Drive Replace

Quote Originally Posted by regocolm View Post
    Hi,
    Quick questions for any of you hurco heads.
    Have a corrupted hard drive for a bmc40 running ultimax 3.
    Is it possible to replace it with a hard drive from a bmc 50 or would i run into any problems?
    Failing that, does anybody have a boot file and utility disk required to redo my old hard drive.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    You would have to run the system backup disk. Usually 2 times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    VISIT HURCONOTES.COM FOR HURCO CNC PROGRAMMING TIPS

If memory serves, Hurcos are PC based, meaning you could probably use just about any hard drive that has the correct form factor, as long as it's large enough. As far as system backup, I have no idea

Thanks guys but to reword my question. my hurco hard drive in my BMC40 is corrupted, I happen to know someone with a BMC 50 machine running ultimax3 which is out of use. will the hard drive from the bmc 50 work in the bmc 40 work without any reinatall. i have attached a picture of the bmc50 hard drive. it looks to be the same caddy and drive used in my machine. i know the connections will fit but could i run into software issues?
    Thanks in advanceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	BMC50.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	339036

It will have the wrong configuration on it and may not work if the EPROMs on the CPU are for a different sized hard disk.

Thanks Bloke for the reply, What would you recommend? To go into detail, when i turn on the machine it boots to show bios version, then tries to load but throws up the message Missing Hurco.LDR.
    I removed the HD from the caddy and placed it in a win95 machine, the drive shows it has the hurco.ldr file and the execprog file as well as the config folder with the relative files. Have all the config disks that came with the machine but do not have a utility disk , that is needed (i think) to reload the hard drive, and a boot file. to make things worse I plugged in an external keyboard to try and enter the setup utility at the machine but the keyboard connection does not go anywhere, its like it was disconnected or never connected in the first place. Help from anybody appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Hurco.ldr MUST be the first file loaded on the drive after formatting. It may be on there but if it wasn't loaded first, it will fail. The biggest problem you have is in those early Multibus controls, the hard drive parameters and memory size parameters were stored on the EPROMs on the CPU. The drive parameters needed to match what the EPROMs expected unless they were the -08x versions. If the machine you are thinking of using the drive from has a different setup, it won't work. The best option would be to have a word with service in the UK and let them know the numbers on the EPROMs on the CPU. If you sent over your hard drive and the machine disks, a drive could be made up to suit.

Thanks Bloke for the quick reply, have been talking to hurco and they say that they do not support that service of creating a new hard drive. Hard to believe ''i know''.
    The drive seems fine has the files can be read and copied. Will try a format and copy the files back on but i still feel there is something i am missing. You hardly provide a paid service for this kind of job?
    you seem like you have the expertise in this area. just want to get this machine back to making chips again. Thanks in advance

I was unaware they are not supporting the drive repairs any more! Normally, they would end up on my desk for re-work. Who did you speak to?

Yeah i was surprised to hear that, was talking to andy bennett in hurco uk, If there's anything you can do to help us out at all, We do not require a warranty with this service, We just want to get the machine up and running again. Thanks in advance bloke.
    Best Regards

Send your drive and any disks you have to Hurco FAO Cliff and I'll see what's up with her.
    I'll need a bit of info on the CPU EPROMs as well. Maybe take a pic of it and make sure the numbers are visible.
    Oh, and don't send the whole card back, remove the drive and just send just the drive and the disks. The card it is mounted to is not needed.