586,123 active members*
3,389 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Spindle Problem, Motor Overload #8, Prox Switch / Magnet

Spindle Problem, Motor Overload #8, Prox Switch / Magnet

I put a new spindle on my 4020 this week. Things were fine during the spindle run in procedure. Today the machine would run at all RPM but would fail at 10000 RPM with the #8 error. I moved the prox switch around above the spindle pulley, and then - no go at all. looks like the switch is dead? if you go to the diagnostics / display switches, it won't change from 00 to 01 when you pass by the prox. I took the head apart, and got the switch out. I plugged in the switch to the molex up by the spindle motor to test it with the spindle pulley magnet, and other magnets too that i held up to it by hand. no change on the DI/DS screen from 00 to 01.

i did check to make sure there is a magnet in the spindle pulley still - i.e. i didn't burn it out when sweating the pulley on.

so i guess the switch is dead. any idea how this can happen?

any idea about how to test the switch on an electronics bench? there are red, white, and black wires. i assume it needs a voltage, then the white wire will change when you put a magnet near the switch.

Re: Spindle Problem, Motor Overload #8, Prox Switch / Magnet

well whatever happened to the old prox, i put a new one on there and I am good to go.

I notice that the spindle had some oscillations at 10k rpm, but then i put it at 10k again and the problem was gone, maybe i need to tune my baldor H2 drive?