586,096 active members*
3,669 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

mc9,mcx thru metacut to osp-u10m

Long time-first time,love the site.
    I just started new job ,not familiar with machine or software.
    We were having trouble posting with mc9 so we upgraded to mcx.Now were also running through metacut,(recomended by cimquest).

The problem is when i send to the machine(okuma osp-u10m)i get a "not the same name" error.We are trying to send old programs from 9 and also new programs from x,same problem.

Not very good with computers so speak slowly,just trying to help out my new boss.

Thanks for any advice.

Please help.

What is the exact error you are getting?
    i.e. the error number etc...
    Please include the entire message as shown on the screen, maybe I can help, maybe I can't...
    Can you also include a sample program that you are trying to send to the machine?
    Regards
    Brian.

Thanks for the reply.
    I'll have to check on the number but the error says "file name not the same" no matter what i do.
    Not sure if i can show prog. because i'm online at home,but i'll try.
    Like i said im not a computer guy.

Hi Bullnerd,
    How are you sending the program to the machine? Is it via a RS232 link up or via a network connection?

If it is via a RS232 connection I use the following header information in my programs and the machine takes the filename from this information.

$PPC-700009381OP1.MIN%
    O9381
    program here
    M2
    %

On our OSP-E100M machine, which uses a network connection, I do not need to use the 2 first lines stating the file name and program number, the machine picks up the name of the program from the filename on the server/pc it is connected to.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Regards
    Brian.

Yes we are using the rs232 cable.

I was told as long as the file name has the .MIN on the end it should take it.What are the rest of those numbers in your example?

Do you put the $ and % in the file name on the sending computer or does the controller add them when recieved.

I've used fadals for years but never had to mess with the comm. stuff.

The more i look into(read) about it the more confused i get.

The example I gave you consists of the following:

$PPC-700009381OP1.MIN%
    O9381

PPC = Pallet Pool Control required for our system as we have a 10 pallet pool feeding our machining centre.

-700009381 is the drawing number of the part program.

OP1 indicates first operation program.

O9381 is the program number that the Pallet Pool Controller uses to select which program to run on the machine.

Really all you should need worry about is the fact that the first line starts with $ and ends with %
    This sets up the filename "ON THE MACHINE" for the incoming program.
    That is, when I read in a program to the machine, I do not specify the name of the program, I just press PIP then Read and then press enter (Assuming your PC is set and ready to send the program).

On our Lathes we do not use PPC, just something along the lines of "LB15-12345678.MIN", note you must start the filename with an Alpha character NOT a number!

I have set the post pro to output the filename with the $ and % wrapped around the filename ready for transmission to the machine.

Hope this information / clarification helps.

P.S. How come your local Okuma rep can't help you? Our rep is so helpful, if he does not know he certainly tries his best to find out the answer for any problem we have. Don't get me wrong here, I am happy to help out!

Regards
    Brian.

Broby ,thanks for the help.
    I've got it working after messing with it for the day.
    I'm just sending right from mcx,no $ or % .as long as the file name after processing(were i messed up)matches what i put in the controller,it'll take it.

I thought as long as the nc name(before processing)was the same it would work,NOT!!

I'm going to try the pip,read,enter without the filename,that would be even easier.

Thanks for the help,the okuma guy didnt know,he wanted to change the 232 board in the machine.

Good to hear that you have managed to get comms going!
    It is so often that we can not see the wood for the trees! and sometimes it is the obvious that we miss.
    Good luck
    Brian.

Thanks again Broby,it worked.Much easier that way and no chance of entering the wrong file name on the controller.

Until next problem ,see-ya.
    Mike