Login

PC psu question

Hi guys, I have a few question to ask.
    I finish the mechanicle part of a small version of the Phoenix,
    a John C Kleinbauer design(thanks John) , cuttting area of just
    7''x11'',I'll be using it to engrave and cut plastic. The stepper
    motors are 60 oz in, 6 wires, 2.3v, 2.3a, 200 per rev, and I just
    ordered the HobbyCNC Pro Chopper Driver Board Kits. I want to use a
    450w atx 12v pc psu, the max output for the 12v is 20a.

First question. I saw a psu mod on the HobbyCNC page which consist of
    connecting 2- 8 ohms 20w power resistor in parallel to the 5v lead which equals to 4 ohms, the problem is that I can't find any at that spec, would 1
    25w 5ohm work ok? I tried it but seems to getting hot

Second question. So now I have the machine, pc, and soon the controlleur,psu, the sofware(TurboCNC) . What else would I need, hardware wise to get this thing going ?

I'm not looking for speed or power, just an introduction in the world
    of hobby cnc

Thanks, Marc..

The difference in power is small (5W vs 6.25W) - what you need to know is if the 12v line stays in spec at full current draw. If it doesn't you will need to pull more power off the 5 volt line.

I have a 2.5ohm resistor on the 5 volt line of a test supply and this is plenty for the few amps I draw from the supply.

The resistor will get hot enough to burn you - this is not a problem but you can mount the resitor to an old CPU fan/heatsink to keep it cool.

Aaron

Thanks Aaron
    So in the mod in question, what was the advantage of using two 8ohms in paralell to give 4ohms instead of using just one 8ohm ? Can you draw to much power from the 5 volt line? Sorry, I'm really a noob at this

Marc..

Most computer power supplies require a minimum load on the 5 volt line in order to properly regulate the voltage. If you place a significant load on the 12 volt line without loading the 5 volt, the power supply will shut down if you're lucky and smoke if not.

If you can find 5 volt fans, this is a good way of keeping things cool in addition to adding to the minimum load.

You can draw too much power from the 5 volt line and any more power than is needed to regulate the unit is wasted.

Two resistors in parallel or one equivalent resistor is a matter of what parts you can get. As long as the resistor is rated for the power dissipation, you should not havy any issues.

Aaron

So if I use a 5volt fan on the 5 volt line I won't need a resistor ?

Marc..

You will still need a resistor - unless you can find a fan that draws at least 5-10 watts (1-2 amps) - A 5 volt fan uses power that you were going to waste as heat anyhow. It also helps to get rid of the rest of the heat in your box.

Aaron

Thanks Aaron, it's all starting to make sense now

Thanks again for your time, I really appreciate
    Marc..