586,100 active members*
3,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by adamsj3 View Post
    Hi Scotty-

An A/B 8400 is a controller probably > 20 years old. Mine was a 1988 model and I think it was one of the latest. It is compatable with BobCad. That's what I used. It does have some proprietary codes that I found useful such as pocketing. Of course, all those special functions could be done in BobCad or any other CAM program.

They are a solid, but outdated controller. They are very limited in memory. If you get a good one, it could serve for many more years. If the price is right and it works I would go for it.

Now, why I no longer use an A/B 8400. Mine was working pretty well until the CRT died. A typical quote I got was $800-$2000 to replace or update just the CRT. Those CRTs are the type I used to buy for <$70. Expect an outrageous price for anything that needs to be replaced, like ~$1000 for a keyboard.

I completely updated the control electronics for <$2000 with a PC based machine running Mach3 and a Vital Systems DSPMC. The servos and drivers from my Shizuoka ANS work great with the DSPMC. As far as I know 8400s didn't support stepper motors, so this approach would probable work to update your machine.

If I can answer any other questions, please email me. If you decide to go for the machine, I have an A/B controller I'd like to sell.

Jack
    Hi my boss is looking for parts for our 8400 he would be interested please drop me a line. thx, mike

Quote Originally Posted by WILLBELATE View Post
    Art

I have the user manual for the 8400MP if you need the programing procedure.

ben
    HI im looking for a programming manual drop me a line if you can my boss would even pay if needed.
    thx mike

I live in VN. and I'm looking for a programming manual and user manual. Please send to me if you have.

Thank you very much,

HA
    [email protected].

Happy new year.

I'm playing apprentice/shop monkey where I am now (used to do computer stuff and research communication), and one of the things I'm going to be doing is getting a Shizouka up and running from mothball (and we've already got an ANS going out on the shop floor)... It was packed away with a General Numeric/Fanuc 3000C, but the boss likes his AB 8400 - I think he dreams in G code...

However (and I'm probably going to be adding some folks to my rolodex), I'm worried that if we score another 8400, we're going to run into the same "dang, we've gotta go out and find a bunch more parts" routine... So, I'd really like to go with a PC-based solution where I can do the sort of stupid stuff that I think is normal, like installing a 42" monitor that we can see from across the shop, etc., etc... Not to mention the concept of cheaply having a complete backup machine ready to plug in if the main box takes a... vacation...

So, how "alike" are the 8400 and Mach3 regarding G code and general operation? Shop is using an older version of Bobcad.

Oh, and if anyone knows a source for a drive belt for the ANS, I'd love to hear it - the one that's on the one we've got going is getting a little oldish...

AB 8400

Maybe a password problem But we tried ABBP, drives power up correctely. But when we try move any of the screen functions we get a message,
    FUNCTION NOT ALLOWED. Any suggestions ?

i am looking for the manuals for the ab 8400mp. i will need the pal manual and user manual. I am trying to use this control on a cnc style machine I am building. please contact me if you have a digital copy that can be sent. Thank you. Robert

Help

We have a allen bradley ab-8400 & we had a lightning storm hit our computer i have relaced the computer that talks to the controller (ab8400) but since the power was off at the plant the ab-8400 lost it parameters does anyone have a manual to help put them back in

Thanks in advance

8400 parameters

Hi i run an 8400 mp everyday and i turn it off every night and it dont lose its parameters even with the batteries out it does however lose any programs you have stored you might have another issue but anyway go to: support/ amp/ control parameters and you can put them in there if however you have somehow lost your pal your going to have problems if you really need help give me a call at 12173702508 and i can go out in the shop and walk you through some of it i have one at home as well and both machines have almost the same setting as far as gains and multipliers for the drives.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by miran70 View Post
    Hi i run an 8400 mp everyday and i turn it off every night and it dont lose its parameters even with the batteries out it does however lose any programs you have stored you might have another issue but anyway go to: support/ amp/ control parameters and you can put them in there if however you have somehow lost your pal your going to have problems if you really need help give me a call at 12173702508 and i can go out in the shop and walk you through some of it i have one at home as well and both machines have almost the same setting as far as gains and multipliers for the drives.
    mike
    Thanks do u have a example of what the parameters look like to see if I have a hard copy

here are some settings

all are right except the computer save and send settings ill check the ones at work i have a picture of them there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 010.jpg   Picture 011.jpg   Picture 012.jpg   Picture 013.jpg  

Picture 015.jpg   Picture 016.jpg  

I'm lookin' for a schematic or three...

Here's the problem. Boss's pet machine has decided that it has a problem with the X limit switch on one end... Local techie guy traced it back to a relay like Digi-Key - CC1202-ND (Manufacturer - IDC-5) that is accessible via the front door, lower right portion of the control. Well, sort of... The bad relay has been replaced, still getting intermittent shutdown due to the error.

Ideas?

relay problem

well mine does the same thing until it warms up. if i wiggle the relay the little red light comes back on like its suppose to and it works fine then seems like when its warmed up it stops that and will run for hours with no more problems. I am beginning to believe the board that all them relays plug into has a trace problem or a connection problem where the relay plugs into well actually im almost positive thats what is wrong you might want to remove that board meaning just take the screws out and look at the traces behind it and on the front to see if there is any problems. Since your still having the problem with a new relay i doubt it was bad i bet its that board it plugs into i see some on ebay from time to time. BTW i assume you already checked the micro switch to see if its sticking or its faulty in anyway
    mike

Mike hows the mill holding up? Hope all is well. I did find that manual the other
    day should you need it. Give us a call sometime.
    Scott

tried to call

crap Scott i just tried to call i forgot you guys are an hour ahead of me its running great im happy as hell with it like i posted only problem is when you first start it up it gives you a little problems but after about 10 minutes she will run all day. you know i just thought of something it only does that when its cold outside and i don't keep the shop above about 50 deg. i hope you 2 are doing well and i hope the shop is plenty busy. ill try to give you a call tomorrow got a few things to do in the shop tomorrow morning have a good night, and ya ill take you up on the manual and any other stuff you still have for it. if you need ill send you some cash to ship it for me.
    mike

Wow someone talking about the elusive manual recently

Hey guys, I am looking for the 8400 manual as well. Mike, I have a call into someone who is working on finding/ scanning a copy for me. Lord knows Rockwell wasn't any help. If I get it I will post an update here. If you have already found it please let me know.

P.S. picking up all the drives, boards, and the controller of a AB Bandit next week for replacement parts, everything looks the same physically other than the name, didn't really check compatibility cuz the price was right and I'm sure I (or someone else) could use something at some point. If anyone is looking for replacement parts let me know. I like to trade.

-John

I bought a shizoka ANS mill some time back and have all the manuals scanned for the 8400 & the 7930 drive package if you PM me I can send to you.

I need a little help getting a replacement servo motor for X axis. If anyone can help it is an AB 7900 series motor Catalogue# 183-18-1420-0. It is made by By H.K. Porter Co. Dont need this specific motor. Just something that will work with the 7930 amp card. Any help would be much apprciated.
    Maybe if someone is parting a bandit mill out let me know what you want for a motor. I can post more info on shaft/frame sizes etc if need be.

Need Information on the 8400mp controller

I need information on the 8400mp controller. I need interface schematics and any electrical information that is available.

Thanks in advance,

Roger

i also would like to have the schematics on the clam shell i cant get my rs232 to work i shorted the chip and burnt it some how it was working before that i have replaced the chip and the receiver chip but no go im sure i could fix it if i had a schematic. roger i do have some interface schematics and a user manual for the control but damn its like 500 pages long i been slowly copying it alittle at a time i really need to get it done and post a pdf file for everyone.
    mike

trouble with dnc

Hello.

I had the same dnc trouble. I replaced the uart, receiver and transmitter drivers.

Everything worked.

I need the section on the opto relay interfaces and the servo enable section.

I also would like the e-stop circuits.

Thanks,

Roger

uart

roger i think i have the pages you want im waiting right now for my wife to get done with the copier then ill copy them would you send me an email address to send the pdf file to. where is the uart chip and whats the numbers on it i have changed the rs232 chip and 2 of the mc1489fb chips there is one more mc1489fb chip i havent changed yet but i dont know what the uart is. anyway please get me that email address.
    mike

Page 2 of 3 123