586,108 active members*
3,115 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Buying first CNC router

Hi all,

Complete beginner here, I would like to buy my first CNC router. Could I kindly ask for recommendations? I would prefer something affordable, but I'm willing to pay more if it meant it was easier for me to use. I realize there are some software I'll need to learn as well. I've been learning to use tinkercad and a little bit of blender. I know there is something called a gcode and some software called a mach3. I'm not a very technical person, but I am able to search videos on youtube to watch and learn.

Many thanks in advance!!!
    Peter

Re: Buying first CNC router

It would help if you told us what you hoped to accomplish with the router. The dimensions of the parts you want to make, tolerances you expect to hit, what materials you want to cut, if you're doing 2D or 3D parts, that sort of thing. How much space you've got for it, what kind of electricity you've got, whether you've got neighbors who will object to the noise or roommates who will object to the dust - all these factors enter into it too.

As for software, you'll need a CAD program (TinkerCAD or Blender might be enough), a CAM program to translate your models into that G-code you've heard about, and a CNC control program that accepts that G-code and runs your router - Mach3 is one, as is LinuxCNC, UCCNC, etc.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Hi Andrew

I would like to mill bar soap and maybe square shape bath boms. I want to mill shapes of word(letters) into these objects. The dimensions are probably a max of no bigger than 6x4 inches. The depth maybe up to 2 inches. I don't know what "tolerances" is that you mention. I want to do 3D I'm assuming, that is I want to mill deep into the soap. I've got regular house electricity. I have roommates who are not home during the day, whereas I can be. What CAM program do you recommend I get, I would prefer something that is easier for a total beginner to learn. Also I mainly use a Macbook Pro, but I also have a 4 year old Windows laptop lying around that I don't use much.

Many thanks in advance!!!

A Shapeoko3 might be a good choice for you.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

At least when you're milling soap, clean-up is easy! Cutting letters isn't usually considered a 3D operation, even if the cuts are deep. When the cuts you make are all on one level, that's called 2.5D milling. If that's all you want to do, you can use an inexpensive and simple 2.5D program like SheetCAM for design and CAM. The pieces you're cutting would be small enough to cut on a small milling machine, like a Sherline or Taig (see my website for info on them.) That would be a lot quieter than a router, and would give you the option of cutting harder materials, like metals.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Thanks Andrew and Gerry, much appreciated

try to go with a 2x3 feet..
    even one bar soap small, later you might want place more on the table

youmight also want to make molds for.. pouring different shaped soaps

for programs, beside thinker cad take a look for fusion 360 it is free
    also for drawings check draftsight
    another free and very professional cad program

a smaller router
    CNC Router, Stepper Motor, Servo Motor, Power Supply Stepper Motor | Stepper Motor Driver | CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Printers For Sale

and a little larger, if your budget let you, buy this..
    High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Stepper Motor | Stepper Motor Driver | CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Prin

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    try to go with a 2x3 feet..
    even one bar soap small, later you might want place more on the table

youmight also want to make molds for.. pouring different shaped soaps

for programs, beside thinker cad take a look for fusion 360 it is free
    also for drawings check draftsight
    another free and very professional cad program

a smaller router
    CNC Router, Stepper Motor, Servo Motor, Power Supply Stepper Motor | Stepper Motor Driver | CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Printers For Sale

and a little larger, if your budget let you, buy this..
    High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Stepper Motor | Stepper Motor Driver | CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Prin
    Hi Victorofga

Thanks for all the helpful info. I was also thinking about making molds for pouring different shaped soaps. I wasn't sure how to make a mold that is similar to the ones I can get at the store, ie, thin and really flexible. If you what term I can google search, I would appreciate it. Many thanks in advance.

The ones you get in a store are vacuum-formed plastic. That's a good way to produce a lot of molds economically, but it takes a special machine to make them. You can also pour soap into silicone rubber molds, which don't require any special equipment to make. Just mix the two components together thoroughly, and pour them into an enclosure you make around your models (which can be made of soap, as long as they're firmly held down so they can't float up). There are plenty of videos available on the process https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...er+mold+making ; you can get the materials from Polytek, or Douglas and Stugess: Douglas and Sturgess - Ingredients for Art - artstuf.com It's going to be a lot more economical to cast these soap bars than to carve each one individually.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

practically you can carve simple shapes by hand and cast a mold of this master

some shapes would work with vacumformed plastic sheets..
    you pull the heatd plastic with vacuum on the shape

I think you can get in a good biz..
    I just googled and there are thoushands of diffent shaped soap you can buy
    with a weird example you can offer coca cola you making the coke bottle shaped soaps..

below the link of google I found

https://www.google.com/search?q=soap...M3BToQ_AUIBygC

Thanks awerby and victorofga. I appreciate your input.