586,409 active members*
3,105 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A question of detail

I'm currently having these extrusions cut with water jet. Great results, but I'm wanting to keep things closer to home and reduce potential for damage in shipping/handling. It is HIGHLY cosmetic. Can I get this detail with a router? How clean will it be?

The extrusion is .125" AL. Min radius is .016.

HERE is a 3D model.

(Note: This website has no password. On the website login page, leave the password field empty and simply select the 'Login' button.)

Thanks for your input!

Doesn't show up for me.
    co

Originally posted by yukonho
    Doesn't show up for me.
    co

It's there. There's an add in to install or it won't come up for you. It is totaly safe.....

dherbman, That is quite a nice part. It looks like there are some holes in the back flanges and some kind of blind holes in around the eagle.

You must not be cutting those on the water jet.

The biggest problem is not the cut areas, but the small webs that are left. Keeping them from chattering and breaking is the biggest challenge. You could cut this part from the back side. Drill the holes and everything in one shot. Just don't quite mill the eagle all the way through. Leave a small skin of material, say .005".

Run the part through a sander, such as a Performax drum sander to remove the .005" skin and you should have your part.

This is all a theory as I have never cut something like this. I suspect that you would have lots of trial and error.

I suggest you take a part to your local machine shop and see what they say. (in person).

Good luck.

Good eye Buscht. I am having the blind holes machined by the people cutting the falcon right now. They are doing a great job, but anything I can take on myself, I will.

The four holes in the rear flange are already in the extrusion when I get them.

Interesting idea about leaving the material. Problem is...... This is the top of a two door PC case and I need to match the existing grain as closely as possible. It's already a real pain.... Strip anodizing, machine, grain and deburr, anodize and then insert studs. Lots of handling done by people other than myself. It's already going through 3 facilities and the slightest scratch makes the part unusable.
    I'm just getting finished with the first 50 and am lining up for producing 150-250/month. Honestly, I'm trying to justify the purchase of a CNC router.