587,072 active members*
2,939 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Spindle stop during cut
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

Spindle stop during cut

Hello,
    I have Chinese 2.2kw spindle with Invertek VFD . Recently the spindle stop during cutting and the table continue working - no errors in mach3 , the vfd Fault Code Messages is 0-1 (Instantaneous Over current
    on the drive output.
    Excess load or shock load on
    the motor). The Corrective Action according to the manual if the Fault occurs when motor operating at constant speed
    is :
    Investigate overload or malfunction.
    How to fix the problem ?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Re: Spindle stop during cut

This basically means that you were taking a cut too deep in the material and it was causing the spindle to work too hard. A quick check is to do an air cut and see if the spindle runs correctly. If you get the same error on the air cut you have a bad VFD.

Russ

That's exactly what I'm doing right now, the spindle is running for half hour (24000 rpm), no false !! Now I reduce the speed to 14000 rpm and I will try ... Thank you !

Hello RUSS,
    I cut 17mm MDF, tool: 2 spiral flutes 6mm diameter. 3mm pass depth on MDF with 20000-22000 rpm ... I don't think 3mm on MDF is deep enough to cause a problem for 2.2kw spindle !!!

Quote Originally Posted by assadi View Post
    Hello RUSS,
    I cut 17mm MDF, tool: 2 spiral flutes 6mm diameter. 3mm pass depth on MDF with 20000-22000 rpm ... I don't think 3mm on MDF is deep enough to cause a problem for 2.2kw spindle !!!

You are correct you are not cutting very much at all, I would say that your parameters are not set correct, do you have a list of what you set, also how do you have the input power to the VFD wired, over current can be a bad or damaged spindle also, so start at the source and work through the possible causes

What VFD Drive model do you have??
    Mactec54

assadi,

No, a 6mm 2 flute endmill turning at that speed cutting only 3mm deep in MDF should not slow down the spindle at all. What is your feedrate, the spindle should handle that job very easy.

Russ

The feed rate was 3000mm/min in the g-code, then I reduce it in mach3 to 80% 2400m/min (100 ipm).
    The input power cable to VFD is unshielded cable 3 wire (L,N,Earth), the output cable is 4 wire double shield (U,V,W, Ground & Shield).
    I attached picture for the cabinet and VFD wiring .
    Could it be EMI problem ?!

assadi

What are the Spec's of the VFD Drive what model do you have
    Mactec54

Invertek Optidrive E2 - 2.2kW, 3Hp 230V 1phase input, 3phase output - AC Inverter Drive Speed Controller, nominal input current 19.5, nominal output current 10.5
    https://inverterdrive.com/group/AC-I...-1ph-3ph-IP20/

Invertek Optidrive E2 - 2.2kW, 3Hp 230V 1phase input, 3phase output - AC Inverter Drive Speed Controller, nominal input current 19.5, nominal output current 10.5
    https://inverterdrive.com/group/AC-I...-1ph-3ph-IP20/

These are the settings that need to be set, check that yours match this, other Parameters should be at the VFD Drives Default, acceleration and deceleration ( Default ) can be adjusted to suite your Spindle

P-01=400

P-02=100

P-07=220

P-08=9

P-10=24000

P-38=0 ( For Unlocked so you can set these Parameters )
    Mactec54

Assadi,

EMI would typically give some kind of error, I see the shielded wire for the control signals, but I don't see the shield on the cable that actually goes to the spindle. That is the most critical cable to be shielded.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    Assadi,

EMI would typically give some kind of error, I see the shielded wire for the control signals, but I don't see the shield on the cable that actually goes to the spindle. That is the most critical cable to be shielded.

Russ
    Even if he did not have a shielded cable, this would not cause a over current Fault
    Mactec54

Actually the opposite, The cable to the spindle is shielded (ÖLFLEX*SERVO*2YSLCY-JB*BK*4G1,5 shielded cable) I twisted the shield inside heat-shrink tubing and wire it together with the ground wire to the VFD earth terminal , the small wire to the pmdx-107 (controller) are not shielded (it's just tubing I take it from old PC power supply).

Thank you for your effort, I think the vfd is fine and the problem is the spindle !! Here is a video for the vfd and all the parameters are set correctly on the vfd, and it's calibrated (the exactly rpm I insert in mach3 I get in the vfd screen and it's correct on the spindle - I tested it with tachometer).
    https://youtu.be/OqvfaXf-2hU
    I appreciate your help and any recommendation will really help me .

Many do not set up a proper e-stop circuit, Mach runs stepper/servo's/spindle blind, in the event of something happening, a hard wired E-stop should be issued, in your case the VFD has a 'Drive Healthy' n/c output relay which if wired into the E-stop circuit prevents the machine continue running when the VFD has a problem.
    In most, the outputs can be set by parameter, but it appears that yours just has the one, which at least should be utilized.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Many do not set up a proper e-stop circuit, Mach runs stepper/servo's/spindle blind, in the event of something happening, a hard wired E-stop should be issued, in your case the VFD has a 'Drive Healthy' n/c output relay which if wired into the E-stop circuit prevents the machine continue running when the VFD has a problem.
    In most, the outputs can be set by parameter, but it appears that yours just has the one, which at least should be utilized.
    Al.
    Is it possible to stop the table motion when the spindle fault...? The software & controller didn't recognize a spindle fault. But If i press my e-stop it shutdown everything the spindle and the axis motion ... So how to wire the e-stop ? Or is it possible to hold feedrate when the spindle stop instead of shutting down the power to the driver ?! I broke 3 bits today

Most VFD have an internal relay you can program to trip when the VFD gets any error. You would connect the contacts of the relay into your estop switch, you could wire the relay nc contact and an error would open estop circuit.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    Most VFD have an internal relay you can program to trip when the VFD gets any error. You would connect the contacts of the relay into your estop switch, you could wire the relay nc contact and an error would open estop circuit.

Russ
    I will try that !
    I just checked the ground pin #4 in the spindle plug and it's not grounded to the spindle body ... Should I open the spindle and wire the ground pin to the spindle body ?!
    Thank you guys, I truly appreciate your help .

I will try that !
    I just checked the ground pin #4 in the spindle plug and it's not grounded to the spindle body ... Should I open the spindle and wire the ground pin to the spindle body ?!
    Thank you guys, I truly appreciate your help .

Yes the 4th pin needs to be Grounded, there is more than one way to do this, but most do it like this, make sure you blow the water out of the spindle before you take the top off, and make sure the 2 orings are sealing when you put it back together

Your parameters can't be set correct, as you should not be able to run the spindle below 6,000RPM
    Mactec54

As per post 15, there is a contact for Drive Healthy that can be included in a E-stop string, you should have this on all machines, and it is used in a hardwired E-stop relay circuit which at the very least stops all motion and advised mach by way of the E-stop input which then stops the machine motion from causing further damage.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Page 1 of 2 12