586,076 active members*
3,894 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Has anyone done 4th axis on Tormach and Fusion

Has anyone done 4th axis on Tormach and Fusion

Hi Guys-

Has anyone actually done 4th axis work on the Tormach since Fusion started supporting it? If so, what post are you using?

Thanks!
    Matt

Has anyone done 4th axis on Tormach and Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by mattford1 View Post
    Hi Guys-

Has anyone actually done 4th axis work on the Tormach since Fusion started supporting it? If so, what post are you using?

Thanks!
    Matt
    Hi Matt,

I assume that you are referring to the new 4th axis "wrapping" feature - rather than the 4th axis indexing capability, which has been around for awhile.
    If so, yes, I have attempted to use the wrapping features, with very unspectacular results.
    For my first attempt, I used the same post processor that I have been using for quite some time, which was modified (successfully) to support the 4th axis indexing functions. Results: success, sort of. I was able to create a gcode program that actually worked - cut a pocket on the surface of a cylinder - but had weird speed control issues. It looks like the inch per minute (ipm) speed are being processed correctly on X & Y axes, but in the A (4th axis) direction, the same number is being processed as inches per DEGREE (ipd). So, while 50ipm is reasonably quick X & Y moves), 50 dpm is really really slow.
    Second attempt, I tried loading the latest post processor from Autodesk (BTW I have a Tormach PCNC 1100 v3, with PathPilot controller). This time, things got decidedly worse. When I attempted to create a gcode program using the same setup that I previously used, I got an empty file. Zero bytes, no content.

I posted on the Fusion 360 CAM forum about this yesterday, but have had no response.

Anyone else tried to use the new 4th axis wrapping on a Tormach/PathPilot mill?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Has anyone done 4th axis on Tormach and Fusion

I have tried this yet, but in the NYC CNC youtube video that John Sanders did on this update, he included a link to an A axis post processor. Maybe that would work better????

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    I have tried this yet, but in the NYC CNC youtube video that John Sanders did on this update, he included a link to an A axis post processor. Maybe that would work better????

Terry
    I tried using the A axis one and I get an error code with Path Pilot regarding M11

try this one I did it for someone 2 weeks ago it was fine for them.

don't copy how john selected the wrap cylinder he got that bit wrong you select the bottom faces of the cut as the wrap cylinder and select dead center end as the origin.

the velocity for the A axis you double its velocity if not more compared to your x or y velocity, it takes a bit of playing to get the velocity correct.
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]