586,105 active members*
3,181 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

setting up a hypertherm 260xd

hey guys

i recently bought a 2 year old 260xd. i am now in the process of setting up this machine and i am having trouble finding a location that supplies enough power to run it.

i was hoping to clarify a few questions i have on power demands of this unit.

am i correct in saying this machine requires 75 amps per phase? or is it 25 amps per phase totaling 75 amps?

considering it will be rare for me to use the machine at full capacity, probably most of the heavier work will be 32mm pierce cuts, what can i get away with in regards to power supply.

one option i have is to purchase a generator to run it (not my first choice) but i was hoping someone could shed some light on their experiences with power demands

cheers
    Ryan

Re: setting up a hypertherm 260xd

bump

Re: setting up a hypertherm 260xd

Quote Originally Posted by rhinocut View Post
    hey guys

i recently bought a 2 year old 260xd. i am now in the process of setting up this machine and i am having trouble finding a location that supplies enough power to run it.SO, you're looking for a building that has sufficient power? where is the cutting machine set up now?

i was hoping to clarify a few questions i have on power demands of this unit.

am i correct in saying this machine requires 75 amps per phase? ASSUMING that your power input is 400/415 VAC - Yes, At full output 75 amps per phase, fused for 100 or 130 so at initial plasma fire you don't blow the fuses (Delta T power surge), or is it 25 amps per phase totaling 75 amps?

considering it will be rare for me to use the machine at full capacity, probably most of the heavier work will be 32mm pierce cuts, 32mm cutting in ? Stainless? Carbon Steel? Aluminum?what can i get away with in regards to power supply.
    I interpret this as "Can I supply less current to the power supply and still use it if I run the output at FAR less than the machine is rated for" I would not recommend that, and if a client asked me to do that, I would refuse, but it's your power supply. If you cannot get a power service/building entrance upgrade for less than the cost of a 90KW generator (30KW per phase, 3 phase = 90KW) then you may want to consider either not using this power supply or finding a new location. If that isn't possible then yes, the generator will be your only option. I would think that you wouldn't want to cut 32mm carbon steel at less than 200 amps, and even at 200 amps it will be quite slow IMO. Your speed would be in OF cutting speed territory. It only gets slower if you're cutting 32mm stainless.

one option i have is to purchase a generator to run it (not my first choice) but i was hoping someone could shed some light on their experiences with power demands
    My opinion: Feed the beast. You wouldn't ask Pharlap to run a race on half rations. It a good power supply you have. I hope you work this out

cheers
    Ryan
    Good luck