I have searched around google and haven't found anything conclusive. I found some theories, but can't find any project that claim success past 1 first initial test.

I would like to bolt a 3d-print head to a 3-axis desktop cnc table. Using the 3d print head, I would like to extrude a very fine layer of wax (or ANYTHING) around the traces to a blank, cleaned copper clad PCB. Then, switch to a drill-head and drill the hole pattern on the same machine. After that, take the copper PCB, etch in ferric chloride (or WHATEVER).

Has anyone done this, or have any links to sites where this is done?

What I have tried so far over the course of about 4 years in trial and error:

• Laser printer methods: Frustrating. I went through 3 used laser printers, all of the output inconsistent leads, and have found this to work on occasion and fail more often. If it's not a toner cartridge issue, a fuser roller, or something else expensive, that winds up failing when I am ready to do a project. It's handy for arts and craft silkscreen printing.
  • Direct inkjet printing: I spent alot of time modifying various inkjet printers to print on a copper pcb. Between the ambient room temperature, and chemistry of the inks, I can't get consistent results. I also don't know anyone who has an inkjet printer, that it actually can sit for a 1 month, and then re-use it and get complete coverage in the ink. Very unreliable and time consuming.
  • Thermal wax transfer: I bought a thermal printer and wax transfer paper. The thermal printer uses heat to print the pattern, melting the wax onto the paper surface. I take the paper, and iron wax printout onto a copper clad pcb. This worked initially. It provided inconsistent results due to temperature, moisture, possibly residue on unclean copper and / or paper surface. Sometimes bubbles would appear or leads would not transfer. This method was the most successful of the 2 previous ones I have tried. I found recently there is an ALPS decal printer for bumper stickers, and BROTHER thermal printers used in tattoo industry - which are possible solutions. I due to the failure rate of my previous attempts, I'm too cautious to buy another printer to troubleshoot for another 6 more months.
  • PCB routing using mill engraver: This worked the best for best results eventually. Unfortunately I am dexterous and pealing up the copper causes me trips to physician office again to talk about carpel tunnel surgery.