586,111 active members*
3,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Open Ox vs ShapeOKO 3, vs etc.

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum but have been looking at CNC routers for some time now.

I would like to have a large format cutting machine (up to 4'X4', however I can live with smaller) to do wood, plastic, and at most aluminum (no real need for this now).

I was initially looking at the Garageworx / sidewinder CNC that Dave makes but have been turned off to it by his customer service history (googling his machines found a thread in this forum). After doing much more reading, I think it would have had rigidity issues as well.

I want to avoid something made out of wood. Metal is greatly preferred. I also know that you get what you pay for in terms of quality. I want to keep it under $2K

I've found some options that I have been comparing:

• OmioCNC, (more expensive, but has a spindle instead of a router. I like that idea. Format is smaller compared to others)
    • Open OX, (can be built to my needs, but has concerns about deflection on larger format)
    • ShapeOKO 3 XXL, Seems quite rigid. I'm leaning towards this one at this point.
    • X Carve, can be larger format but has serious deflection issues from videos I've seen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71AQBgDkAz4

Does anyone have any additional suggestions for kits or setups to look at? Also welcoming comments on the ones listed. I'm all ears.

Thank you in advance for all input.
    Shelby

Re: Open Ox vs ShapeOKO 3, vs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyCharged View Post
    Hello All,

I'm new to the forum but have been looking at CNC routers for some time now.

I would like to have a large format cutting machine (up to 4'X4', however I can live with smaller) to do wood, plastic, and at most aluminum (no real need for this now).
    Think hard about how seriously you want to consider machining aluminum because to do so well requires a considerably more rigid machine.
    I was initially looking at the Garageworx / sidewinder CNC that Dave makes but have been turned off to it by his customer service history (googling his machines found a thread in this forum). After doing much more reading, I think it would have had rigidity issues as well.
    I'm not familiar with those machines. If you are expressing concerns about rigidity then I highly suggest reading the stickies. There is a wealth of information in there and one of the threads goes into significant detail concerning gantry design.
    I want to avoid something made out of wood. Metal is greatly preferred. I also know that you get what you pay for in terms of quality. I want to keep it under $2K
    You have a lot of conflicting desires here. The price point is tough and realitically the only metal you have to choose from at this price point is steel. Steel has its good points with one bad point, that is steels weight. That weight problem frankly is only bad for the builder back, weight in the frame can be a good thing. Still I usually suggest steel especially if you can latch onto second hand or drops from a steel supplier. For a gantry bean square steel tubing is ideal
    I've found some options that I have been comparing:

• OmioCNC, (more expensive, but has a spindle instead of a router. I like that idea. Format is smaller compared to others)
    • Open OX, (can be built to my needs, but has concerns about deflection on larger format)
    • ShapeOKO 3 XXL, Seems quite rigid. I'm leaning towards this one at this point.
    • X Carve, can be larger format but has serious deflection issues from videos I've seen
    My memory isn't fresh with respect to those machines and some I've never heard of, however I don't think we are talking extremely robust machines here. Also realize that you can update a spindle fairly easily anytime you want.

This points out something, a spindle upgrade is easy. Upgrading a bad frame can be a real horror story. Some things you want to get right the first time.
    Does anyone have any additional suggestions for kits or setups to look at? Also welcoming comments on the ones listed. I'm all ears.
    If you are on a tight budget and want a decent machine I really think Kits are a mistake. This mainly because paying retail for materials and prefabrication machining is expensive in and of itself. You might find a decent rigid kit but I kinda doubt that it will meet you budget goals.

Of course going it alone means developing the resources and taking time to chase down real bargains. A DIY machine also implies that you have access to some tools to work the materials. In any event the net has all sorts of stories about guys saving themselves huge bucks in a machine build by being resourceful in locating the required materials. It is the only way to control costs for tight budgets.
    Thank you in advance for all input.
    Shelby
    Don't forget the cost of software in your budget. Good CADCAM is expensive. There is free stuff but it is usually pretty focused.

Oh another thing, space can be a real issue for these larger machines. To get a 4x4 work area you need a machine that is a bit larger than 4x4. You might find yourself needing a 5 to 6 foot square area to install the machine and make practical up use of the machine. Before you go down this road I would suggest making sure you have the room to install such a machine.

The bottom line, is that $2000 won't buy a decent 4x4 machine. It really won't by a good small machine either.

The larger machines like the X Carve and OX are known to be rather flimsy. You can read about a lot of their users wanting to upgrade to something better.

While I've never seen on, I'd agree about the Shapeoko being the better option.

If you want something good, even a smaller machine will cost closer to $4000-$5000
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

In my book "Building the KRMx02" you can build 5 sizes. Even the smallest of 18" x 14" will cost you at least $2800 to build and that does not included shipping or taxes.

These machines are extremely rigid. I cut aluminum all the time. But it comes at a cost. They are all steel and aluminum construction and are meant to be production machines.

All that said you can machine aluminum with a hobby class machine.

Here I am cutting some aluminum parts on one of my early KRMx01 CNC machines. It is a hobby class machine (probably more on the high end) and was never intended to cut aluminum.
    https://youtu.be/374ePHwPOlI

You just have to take sallower cuts and go slow. The correct bit goes a long way.

Here are a few things I would look at when purchasing or building an entry level machine.
    1. For a CNC router, I always look to see that the gantry is driven by two motors, one on each side. This helps keep the gantry from racking under load. It also gives you more overall drive power for a heavier gantry.
    2. Look for a machine with supported rails. Unsupported linear rails will flex a lot.
    3. Is the machine upgradable and easily reparable, Generally if you build the machine you can repair it and upgrade it.

There are exceptions to #1 above. I have a small machine I designed that has a fixed gantry and a moving table. Its pretty small of only about 15" x 11", but is extremely rigid. You wont find a fixed gantry moving table design for a 4' x 4' machine though.

Keep doing your research. Its worth the time you spend.
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Digging up an old thread a bit here...

I have the Shapeoko 3 XXL - approx 33x33x5" work area. I'm using stock electronics, and have a Chinese 1.5kw spindle. The kit was US$1799+frieght (about $500 for me to get it to australia, but less than $50 domestic US)

First off: this is a hobby machine, there is no question. But out of the sub-$2000 kits available, this one is the most rigid for sure. I did a lot of research when I was getting into it. What a lot of people don't realise when they suggest you build from scratch is that some people have no experience at all in CNC, so building something that will give good results is quite difficult.

Putting the machine together is easy enough, the instructions are pretty straightforward and there is a wealth of knowledge on the carbide3d forums. The electronics are simple and work well. you don't get any of the options that the commercial stuff provides (Auto Tool changer etc) but if you need that stuff then it will cost you a lot more than $2000.

I frequently cut aluminium with mine with good results. usually taking around .04" Depth Of Cut at around 60 Inches Per Minute. This may not be as good as some of the (awesome) steel routers people build on here, but their routers don't cut aluminium as well as a proper mill, so it really depends what your expectations are. I don't cut aly with mine all the time, and I don't use it for production of aly stuff, so if it takes 5mins longer to cut a piece I can handle that.

Definitely not as rigid as something made out of steel on supported rails, but if you're not into mass production then just slowing it down a bit means your accuracy and repeatability are good enough for most jobs.

Customer service is excellent, I've asked for a few extra bits and the guys have sent them free of charge, which is pretty unheard of these days.

This machine has been awesome to learn on, and i am going to use it to make some parts to build a 4x8 machine, probably out of steel with linear rails. selling cheese boards and plaques and signs has paid for this machine a couple of times over, so it is possible to do on a smaller scale.

My 2 cents, hope you find something that suits!