586,119 active members*
3,532 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC tube profiler software/hardware

I would like to build a machine that would take fully drawn tubes from Solidworks/CadKEY solids or similiar and hold in rotating chuck, profile one end and advance forward to profile oposing end. 4th axis software would be in order here. I would like to know where to go to find? Or any other sense of direction? tubing size from 1/4" to 1.25" would be great. This is for more than right angle joints but for when 4-6 tubing cluster all come together.

Easy to draw, hard to cut.

Question A different posting place?

With No replies, perhaps there is a better place to post this? Or any suggestions of a company to talk to?

If this were my thread, I would have put it here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Your post is rather vague. What do you want?
    Build your own machine?
    Have it built for you?

You will need some CAM software to generate the toolpath you need.
    How long are the tubes you need to cut?
    Do you need to cut both ends at once or can you flip it then cut the other end?
    What are you cutting the tubes with? torch, plasma, endmill.
    I can't see where you would need more than 3 axes and only 2 would be needed if you could flip the tube end for end when you cut.

Sounds like an interesting project. I have some ideas for something like this I will share after I have a better Idea of what you are looking for.

Matt

To clarify this better.

Picture a race car frame, better yet a dragster frame, with 4 long runs, with all the braces perfectly joining these 4 long runs.

I can't just take the tube out, and turn end for end, for the 0,0 start point has to be retained for perfect fit up. These clusters get more complicated as you add more tubes.

I was planning on a 1/8" end mill at 3" min. travel speed, well actually the mill doesn't move,(except to plunge cut into the tube) but the tube rotates slowing to and from the end mill, thus creating the profile.

The entire profile of each tube is easly enough drawn out on solid works.
    What is the longest tube you need to work with? That will determine your X axis travel.

The Z axis will need to move the cutter to plunge into the tube and to get out of the way when you go to the other end.

I still think the machine would be less expensive and easier to setup if you swapped ends on the tubes. You could use some hex or square bushings on the tube to mount it in the rotary axis so that you would retain your alignment. Up to you though.

To hold the tube I would use something like a 5c collet.

This would work well but only goes up to 1.125 inch size. These would allow you to quickly switch between tube sizes. These would be mounted in a "donut" with timing pulley teeth cut in the OD. The collets would screw into the center of the donut and you would use a collet closer arrangement to clamp it tight.

The X and Z axes would be setup like a traditional mill. The rotary would be parallel to the X to accept the tube.

Could a plasma cutter be a possiblility? That would allow you to make the machine lighter and less rigid because you wouldn't have the cutting forces associated with the endmill. If you want to use the endmill I would step up the size so it is a little less fragile and you could take bigger cuts as well.

Matt

Here is what I'm thinking

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tube profiler.jpg  

Depending on your budget and available equipment you already own, A 4th axis rotary from Haas or Hardinge (available in 16c collets up to 1.625 round) and as previously mentioned, doing one end at a time which seems to be practical especially for varying lengths of tubing. Programming could be dome via a variety of CAM packages with 4th axis capabilities. There are also laser options available I have seeen this software used http://www.peps.com/products/tubecut.htm#
    and you could also research turn-key machines. Good luck.