586,060 active members*
4,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Bridgeport Interact 1 MK2 - Input Voltage

Hi all,

I recently bought a Brigeport Iteract 1 MK2 machine from ebay and need some help with the electrical connection.s The machine is currently wired for 460 Volts 3 Phase and my workshop only has 220 Volts 3 Phase. I opened the side panels for the machine and saw several references to diferent voltages 200-460 and wanted to know if the input could be converted by changing the settings on the transformers. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

The side pannel also has a scematic reference for 215-273.

Regards,

Pali

Yes the entire machine is converted using the transformers. Note that these are auto-transformers. Example 230 VAC can be 210 to the right of 0 and 20 to the left of 0.
    It has a DC spindle motor using a spindle drive.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

George,

I appreciate your quick response. I will take some pictures of the transformers and would again appreciate any help or guidance in the right direction. Do you by any chance have any schematics for the electrical connections?

Do you recommend doing a blind change of everything from 460 to 210 (With 0 - 20 ranges). Both side panels of the machine have 460 and 210 refrences.

Regards,

Pali

I need to know what control you are using to try and find the correct schematic. Usually the maintenance manual has a chart as to how each transformer is configured for a specific voltage. I suggest you look for one.
    some schematics have this as well.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

George,

Here are the details for the machine:

* As stated, its a Bridgeport Interact 1 MK 2
    * It has the Heidenhain TNC 2500

I took pictures of the left and right electric panel which show all transformers/switches that have voltage references. Here are the pictures.

Thaks for helping.

Pali

George,

Here are the details for the machine:

* As stated, its a Bridgeport Interact 1 MK 2
    * It has the Heidenhain TNC 2500

I took pictures of the left and right electric panel which show all transformers/switches that have voltage references. Here are the pictures.

Thanks for helping.

Pali

Need email address. Can you accept 3.5MB?

George

My email is [email protected] and yes I can recieve 3.5 MB files.

Thanks George,

Pali

George,

Thank you for sending me the wire schematics. If I am reading these correctly, all I need to do is change the input on T4 to 220 volts according to sheet 3 in the pdf file that you sent me and that should be it? It sounds to be a very simple and quick change. I do have T4 installed and looks like this.

Would you be able to confirm if this is all I need to do and leave the other transformers unchanged?

Thanks once agian for all of your help.

Regards,

Pali

I tried to run the machine after switching the voltage on the T4 and nothing turned on. I believe I also need to change the voltage settings on the other transformers (T1,T2,&T3). All of them have the 200-460 voltage range with 0 & 20 option. Though I am pretty sure that changing these to 220 would do the job, I don't want to experiment without proper documents. Do you by any chance have configuration settings for T1,T2, and T3.

I spoke with the seller of the machine and he told me that they were running the machine with a step-up transformer. If changing the settings of the machine is complicated, I would not mind investing in a good transformer to convert 220 to 460 for me. Could anyone who has knowledge of transformers let me know if this 9 KVA tranformer would be sufficient for this machine?

George, I really appreciate your help. This forum is a great resource for a rookie like me.

Regards,

Pali

Bridgeport Interact 1 mk2

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    I need to know what control you are using to try and find the correct schematic. Usually the maintenance manual has a chart as to how each transformer is configured for a specific voltage. I suggest you look for one.
    some schematics have this as well.

George
    Hi George,
    i see from the a previous post that you passed the wiring diagram for the above machine.

We have recently acquired the same spec machine (Bridgeport Interact 1 MK 2, Heidenhain TNC 2500) from our sister plant. Unfortunately there was no accompanying documentation.

I would appreciate it if you could mail the wiring diagram and if accessible a user manual to me.

Thank you

Yogan

Same machine, different controller

George,

I have a Bridgeport Interact Series 1 with a Heidenhain TN151 controller. It's unable to start the spindle motor, opening the main power circuit internally every time I try to start it up. I go through the startup routine of clearing the memory check, "Power Interrupted" message, and finding the axis datums. Then I try to start the spindle motor with the upper front panel pushbutton and direction switch. The machine makes a loud click, like a contactor cycling, and it is back at the "Power Interrupted" message. It was working fine at the dealer before it was delivered to my shop. I suspect the problem is with internal power settings similar to the other postings in this thread. Can you send me a wiring diagram for this machine, or advice on what to check?

Thanks!

S. E. Kissling

Are you running on a phase converter?
    If the artificial phase is attached to the control it will pull down when you try and start the spindle motor. The "wild" phase should only go to the spindle motor.
    Have you put a meter on each phase as you engaged the motor?

George

No phase converter - I have three-phase utility power. I'll try the meter on each phase.

Thanks, SK

I wonder if the motor is wired correctly. There are 9 wires that configure the motor for 230 or 460 volts. I would measure the resistance of how it is wired to make sure that all three wires going to the motor have the same resistance. This of course is done with the machine OFF.
    The other item that comes to mind is wires too small so that the wall cannot supply the power the machine needs when the motor starts up and thus the voltage drops.
    The air brake releases, right?

George

Yes, the air brake releases, and I can turn the spindle by hand with the brake off. The connections at the motor are correct for the supply voltage. I'll check the wiring resistance - good idea. I am starting to think that this sounds like a motor starter problem. There is a bootlegged starter in there, wired up in parallel with the original equipment. I found a site that explains magnetic starter operation:

http://wiki.owwm.com/Default.aspx?Pa...ing%20Diagrams

so I'll be checking that, too.

Thanks for your advice. I'll let you know when I either get it fixed or run out of ideas.

SK

All of these machines have contactors that turn the motor on forward and reverse (swaps two phases to achieve this) and have a overload. I wonder if it is original and wired correctly. Typically there are piggy back switches on these to disable the opposite direction contactor to prevent a direct short which would happen if both came on at the same time.

George

The piggyback switch on one of the contactors was bypassed to an added-on relay. The main motor contactors are made by Yaskawa, and almsot everything else in the wiring cabinet is German. I am looking for a wiring diagram so I can see if everything is at least hooked up properly, and to help me troubleshoot voltages and continuity. The reverse contactor has an overload device on it, and the bypassed contactor does not. Plenty of things to check, that's for sure.

Attached is a set of wiring for a INT2S2 with a TNC151. you will find it very similar.

George
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks! I'll keep you informed of progress.

SK

Page 1 of 2 12