586,103 active members*
3,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Motor Wiring Help

I am trying to wire a replacement 110V reversing motor on my mill and can not figure it out to save my life. I have attached the pictures and motor schematic i drew up when i pulled it apart. Also attached is the diagram on the motor along with the schematic for the switch, but i have two wires that are not labeled. Thanks for the help in advance.

Re: Need Motor Wiring Help

I'm not a motor engineer, but I do know a thing or two about GIMP (the image processor), so rotated the image so I can read it. :^)

I am also something of a simpleton, so it looks simple to me.

On the nameplate, it looks like you need a double-pole (two circuits), double-throw (makes connection in either position) switch, which no doubt your mill switch is. This switch appears on the schematic. "No doubt," there are terminals on your motor itself marked "U1, V1, U2, Z1". (The switch is actually triple-throw, so there can be an "Off.")

In the "clockwise" direction, "U1" is connected to "V1" and "U2" is connected to "Z2". In the "counter-clockwise" direction, "U1 is connected to "Z2" and "U2" is connected to... (oh. i see the problem...)

"Nevertheless", the mill switch on the schematic shows six wires coming in, "L(ine)" and "N(eutral)" being the other two.

Looking at the switch in the schematic, in the center position, L connects to U1 and N to U2, which corresponds to clockwise rotation on the motor nameplate.

HOWEVER, neither of the two remaining positions of the switch (left or right) correspond to a connection matching that on the nameplate.

In fact, I'll say it, having testified I am not a motor engineer, that the schematic looks nuts to me: in either of those positions, the schematic, TO ME AT LEAST, indicates L and N will be shorted together: at left, both appear to be connected to the same terminal, V2, and at right, to V1.

Considering that it is I who am most likely wrong, I'll reconsider. Instead of "left" and "right", I'll take the two positions to be "towards" and "away" from the center position, on the schematic. IF that's what it means, then when the switch is in the "towards" position, L is connected to V1 and N to V2. In the "away" position, L is on V2 and N on V1, the reverse situation. And on the "center" position, L to
    U1, N to U2.

Still, on the nameplate, it appears that the connection to U1 never changes and there does not seem to be a 3rd position. "Is this really the schematic for this particular motor?" ;^)

These are just my rambling thoughts, stalling for time until a real answer appears...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1075_rot.jpg  
    --
    Dan