586,106 active members*
3,301 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > UK Owners - PathPilot monitor recommendations and Transformer

UK Owners - PathPilot monitor recommendations and Transformer

Hi,

I placed my 770 order last week; expecting delivery in the UK mid-January. It seems that there is a pretty well established community of PCNC users in the Uk which certainly added to the appeal of the machine.

I need to decide which monitor size and type to purchase to use along with PathPilot - this 22" Iiyama monitor looks good Iiyama ProLite T2252MTS-B3 22" Touchscreen Monitor - does anyone have experience of using a larger/widescreen; does PathPilot scale appropriate to make use of that? Also does anyone know if the touchscreen is likely to be compatible?

The other question I had relates to the 110V step-down transformer; am I correct in thinking that any centre-tapped-earth site transformer with enough load capacity will work when wired up to a US-style socket? Ie the +55V/E/-55V won't make a difference to the Tormach?

Many thanks for the help!
    Alastair

Re: UK Owners - PathPilot monitor recommendations and Transformer

Hi Alastair,

Welcome to the club! I bought my PCNC 770 and accessories back in the summer (delivery August) and am very pleased with the mill and Tormach's service since. I went through the same process as you regarding the touchscreen monitor, but mine was prompted by the fact that they were backordered at the time. I did a fair bit of on-line research to find that few had had success with non-Tormach monitors in terms of compatibility. It seems that Tormach wrote their own Linux driver for the 'Monoprice' monitor they sell, and they couldn't suggest any other makes that work (ok, why would they?). It was tempting to buy locally a different monitor but in the end I put the Monoprice 17" on the order. They came back in-stock in time to be shipped by Priority Air, all taxes and duties paid by Tormach, delivered the day after the mill arrived! Ultimately, I couldn't have bought a Monoprice monitor here in UK at the time as cheaply as Tormach's so I'm pleased with my decision. I'm not saying there aren't compatible monitors out there, but I'd recommend finding one that is known to work with PathPilot.

Regarding the transformer, I bought a 3.3 kVa site transformer and it's working fine. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Happy to help with any other questions; I'm in Oxford BTW.

Cheers, Andy

That's great info, thanks very much Andy!

While I have you on the line... Do you have a recommendation for a Uk supplier of suitable ISO 68 machine oil and coolant (I'll be using a fogbuster)?

For the Fogbuster I'm using Hangsterfer's S-500 CF coolant concentrate. I was lucky to be able to buy just a litre on EBay from another UK Tormach mill owner - he had bought a larger drum and was selling it in smaller quantities. Unfortunately, I don't see his listing currently. I'm sure there are other makes here in UK but as a hobbyist, I couldn't justify buying more than I could use in a couple of years!

Cheers, Andy

Hi Alastair

Welcome to the UK 770 community. Andy bought his coolant from me (cheers Andy). If you would like a bottle get onto eBay and do a search for Hangsterfer's which should take you to my listing.

As for oil, just use a good quality slideway oil that is ISO68 certified.

Cheers

Grant