586,103 active members*
3,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

I'm hoping...

I'm hoping that the lack of many posts means that everyone is happy with their machines and/or busy with many projects. The stuff I do hear on Tormach is quite good...just not a lot of traffic here. Also are there any other user sites for Tormach? I'm really interested in this machine and hope to have one in my new shop (garage) at my new home by June or July of this year.

Another Tormach forum

Here is a yahoo group for the Tormach: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tormach1100/

I recived my machine a couple of weeks ago. It's together and I'm setting-up the PC right now. I bought a PC w/Vista to replace the PC that will run the mill, big mistake. Nothing I have runs on Vista except MasterCam. Ended up making it a dual-boot system (Vista/XP); not easy with an OEM PC.

Anyway, I hope to start posting as soon as it warms up,

Allen,

Quote Originally Posted by WYLD View Post
    I'm hoping that the lack of many posts means that everyone is happy with their machines and/or busy with many projects. The stuff I do hear on Tormach is quite good...just not a lot of traffic here. Also are there any other user sites for Tormach? I'm really interested in this machine and hope to have one in my new shop (garage) at my new home by June or July of this year.

I guess everyone isn't like me...single, no responsibilities besides work, school and bills...
    When I get my machines, I prolly will pull a few all-nighters to get everything up and running...and several more all-nighters playing with them and making chips.
    However I know that if I had a wife and kids, I would not always be able to entertain my personal agenda so easily. Priorities...family first, fun always.
    Hell, I'm not even moved into my new house and I've already purchased a ton of stuff just for the workshop! Guess you can see where my priorities lie..

WYLD,
    I recieved mine a couple weeks ago too, along with the deluxe stand, and tooling system. Got it all put together and ready to run. I had zero CNC experience but a lot of CADD experience prior to getting this machine. In a matter of about 2 hours I was milling out a complex profile of a part which I had created in another program and imported in. I was absolutely amazed at how seamless it was and how little editing I had to do. I'm still learning the G & M codes but so far pretty easy and straight forward. I had the biggest smile on my face when I cut those first chips. The tool changing is an absolute breeze. Literally takes about 10-15 seconds. I've only had a little bit of time to get somewhat used to the control system at this point. Will post more as I get more hours under my belt.

I am having some problems with the stand however. 2 reasons why I'm posting this. First, hopefully to get some advice from people that may have had the same issue and could help me fix this more efficiently. Secondly, to help people in the future if they encounter the same issue. Isn't that what this forum is all about anyway?

I received my coolant and decided to get that put in so I could really start making some chips. That's when the fun started. Filled the tank, ran the system for 5 minutes or so and then realized I was standing in a puddle of coolant. I shut it down quickly and started to inspect where it came from. I caulked the entire perimeter of the base where the upper panels of the stand connect and used the rubber washers that were included. I couldn't believe that it was leaking so badly. I looked for obvious things like hoses being loose, but didn't find anything. The coolant was not leaking out at the seam where the upper panels are attached to the base. I opened the cabinet doors and closer inspection revealed that the leaks were coming from the internal joints, where the joints are welded. Most of the perimeter joints were leaking coolant down through all the cabinets, including the computer cabinet.

I tried to strategically place some caulk in the inner corners of the base to see what that did. It seems as though it slowed the leak to the computer cabinet a little bit, but the others are still leaking very heavily. I was hoping to try and fix this without having to take off the upper panels, and have to reinstall. But after trying several times and having to clean up a lot of coolant within the cabinet and on the floor I decided it wasn't going to be that easy. So I guess I will be taking off the panels this weekend and caulking or sealing the joints some how. Anyone encounter anything similar? Any advice on anything specifically I should look at? What type of silicone/sealer to use? Any advice would be appreciated. I'll be tackling it on Sat morning.

FYI,
    I've contacted Tormach about this and they've been very quick to respond to any questions I've had at this point.

To summarize, I think the machine itself is incredible so far and I can't wait to cut more chips soon, with coolant. I think the leak is just a small bump in the road and I hope I could fix it myself with a couple more hours of disassembly/caulking/reassembly. If I caulk the base, reassemble, and it is still leaking, I would expect that a new replacement base is in order. Frustrating, but have to concentrate on the big picture and look past it.
    Can't wait to start hogging out that aluminum. WYLD, hope this info helps. I'll post more soon.

Rob

Wow, mine didn't have any leaks in the welds at all.

I guess if it happened to me, I'd mig weld all the way around them to seal them up. Big, messy job, but the strongest way to permanently fix it. If you really don't want to do that, you can use bondo (or equvalent). That stuff permanently fixes holes in radiators, it should work on your machine.

I'd weld it if it were mine, though, then touch up the paint.

--97T--

I've had my machine for about 3 months , just recently using coolant and have not had any problems. I have a slight problem with the spindle drive and that is being taken care of. Tormach is very quick to respond to any questions. My machine does everything I have asked it to do so far.