586,033 active members*
2,894 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Boring on Lathe with 2 Flute End Mill

Boring on Lathe with 2 Flute End Mill

So..... silly question from the newbie section....

Can I use a 2 flute end mill as a boring tool? Seems that if you were to line up the cutting edge in line with the X alignment similar to lining up a boring bar. Then just move in X to the desired diameter.

Thoughts?
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Re: Boring on Lathe with 2 Flute End Mill

Yup, I do it all the time. Works good for shallow bores

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Yup, I do it all the time. Works good for shallow bores
    Thanks Jim! Yep, I've been doing where I drill on X-0 with the 2FL EM then come back and step off the X distance that gives me the bore I need and repeat the drill cycle.
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    So..... silly question from the newbie section....

Can I use a 2 flute end mill as a boring tool? Seems that if you were to line up the cutting edge in line with the X alignment similar to lining up a boring bar. Then just move in X to the desired diameter.

Thoughts?
    Here's a short video of a guy doing just that.

My favorite boring tools for short, stiff, cheap, and easy. Set up in a 5C collet holder for your QCTP and have fun. (I've never seen a 5C collet holder for the QCTP on sale, but it's no problem to make one.) Biggest problem is that I do this so commonly that I've had to buy a couple extra collets. Really, really cheap collets work here, you're just holding the tool. Runout is irrelevant.

The downside is that you will have more tool flex than using a solid boring bar of the same diameter, and you will be cutting with just the leading edge of the endmill, so it won't last as long as when you are milling with it. Indexable boring bar at least gives you 2, 3, or 6 edges (depending on what style insert) for your $6-10 investment.

Boring bars are dirt cheap.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I do it for smaller bores. Free endmills when one flute has chipped a corner, use the other one. I don't have a holder that works, one day I should make a V block that fits in the toolpost. In the meantime I grind a flat 90º around from the flute and use that to line things up.

I find they work pretty well as long as you go lightly. The other hassle with 'em is they're usually too short to get more than one toolpost clamp bolt down hard on them. But when the smallest fleabay cheapie inset boring head I can see is a 7mm shank, probably a 10mm hole, the end mills make a handy alternative for the little stuff.

A tiny bit off topic, but I have often used 2F end mills that have been chipped (usually by dropping) as plain lathe turning tools. A little delicate for heavy turning, but for AL and plastic, they work well. Just setup up in one of those combination tool holders with a groove in the bottom center, with the un-chipped edge positioned to cut.
    Terry