586,104 active members*
3,403 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Spindle load

Spindle load

Mori seiki sl3, what should the load show at non cutting turning? Mine is never below 25% and will get up to 100% at high rpms with an empty chuck. Rapid speed changes will peg the needle and it cuts in and out. I can turn everything by had and nothing seems to be in a bind. The oil in the gearbox is sitting right at the low mark. Just ordered some more to do an oil change.

Re: Spindle load

If every is turning free, I would be taking a hard look at the motor. The windings could be starting to short out. Running unloaded I would not expect it to be over about 25 % at nominal speed, a bit higher at max speed. If it's a belt drive, remove the belt and run the motor and see what you get.

I was looking at the belts and thinking about replacing them. They don't all have the same tension and a couple wobble around more than I think they should. The longer it runs it seems to drop some on the load and the cutting out thing doesn't do it as bad. I'll remove the belts and try it. Is there anything I can test on the motor other than running it?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dbunyip View Post
    I'll remove the belts and try it. Is there anything I can test on the motor other than running it?

Not really without proper test equipment. You could disconnect the motor and check the resistance from the motor wires to the motor housing. In a perfect world, the resistance would be infinite. Then check the winding to winding resistance, that should also be infinite. Depending on your meter, you might see some resistance, but it should be in the several megohm range. If you test run it without belts, and the load is still high, then a trip to your local motor rewind shop would be the best.

Well I pulled the belts and still got the same load and noises. Can't feel any play in the shaft and turns free but maybe too freely. Dropped it at a local shop for testing and inspection. What kind of ballpark should I be in looking at if it needs a rewind?

Quote Originally Posted by dbunyip View Post
    Well I pulled the belts and still got the same load and noises. Can't feel any play in the shaft and turns free but maybe too freely. Dropped it at a local shop for testing and inspection. What kind of ballpark should I be in looking at if it needs a rewind?

I really don't know, just depends on the motor shop. I have heard numbers around $600 but that depends on motor type and what's needed.