586,113 active members*
3,638 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Casting Metals > Recycling / Melting / Casting 360 Machining Brass

Recycling / Melting / Casting 360 Machining Brass

I have quite a bit of 360 scraps lying around that I would like to reuse and was wondering what the best way would be to melt down and cast back into 3" x 1/2" rectulanger bars, my main concern is what to use for a casting mold, something simple and ez to put together and then disassemble to remove brass.

Any ideas, I was thinking of using some mild steel angle to construct some molds out of, but thought I would ask for some input.

Well why not sell it back to the fondry and and by what you need or make a deal with them to do what you need. We sell all our scrap back to the foundry and make very good money off of it brass is high right now
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson View Post
    Well why not sell it back to the fondry and and by what you need or make a deal with them to do what you need. We sell all our scrap back to the foundry and make very good money off of it brass is high right now
    Well I only have about 300 or 400 pounds of scrap right now, new rectangular bar is around $5.00 per pound, last I knew they were only paying around $1.50 for scrap, so would like to remelt and reuse myself to save some money, just looking for some indeas.

Have you looked in to what the foundry would charg to melt and reform it? it may be alot cheaper just a suggestion
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

One of the best places to find do it yourself casting/ melting metal is www.abymc.com. They mainly deal with aluminum but some of them do cast brass.