586,114 active members*
3,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Binary File Transfer

Does anyone have a lead on a program or a way that will serially receive Binary files on a PC?
    I have some tapes to convert and all the modem programs I have use a standard protocol that requires an initiation or preliminary code to receive.
    I have no control of the remote device as far as protocol, but it is capable of sending binary but I have tried recievingXmodem/Zmodem etc with no success.
    I have several good DOS & windows modems programs but they appear to all look for initial code etc.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

what are you pulling the programs off

and what connection ,com port with null modem?

Quote Originally Posted by holbieone View Post
    what are you pulling the programs off
    and what connection ,com port with null modem?
    Off a tape reader via a BTR to PC Com port, null modem.
    Al.

Albert E.

i had some software for that some where

I'll look but it mite take a day to find

i also wrote some code to capture the com port

I'll get back to you

I'll get back to you
    Appreciate it:cheers:
    Al.

Albert E.

Perhaps NCEditor, which is a part of Millwrite 2000 engraving software. I actually used an older version of this editor, and it had a utility to capture anything that went in or out of the comm ports. The guy to contact is Eric. I've always found him to be a very obliging fellow.

Here is a link. Phone him before you buy anything from him because he may be able to tell you exactly what his editor can do, and sell you exactly what you need.

http://members.aol.com/m9685123/index.html
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Heres st240, an old as dirt dos app, it will capture what ever comes in.
    and you can set up and store eight different config settings.

If you want to decode it from binary to text(once downloaded), Check out this site. kinda handy
    http://nickciske.com/tools/binary.php

Quote Originally Posted by roseng View Post
    Heres st240, an old as dirt dos app, it will capture what ever comes in.
    Thanks, but it appears to use the same protocols I am have issues with, Xmodem/Zmodem etc
    Al.

Albert E.

i'm still looking but if i can't find anything i can write some code to do it

i'm still looking but if i can't find anything i can write some code to do it
    Thanks, I found a couple of options I am going to check over the week-end, I will let you know.
    thanks again

Albert E.

Use Hyperterminal

and Select "Transfer" and then "Capture text". I've used it many times in "the old days" to copy ladder files from the RS-232 port of Fanuc controls.
    Paul Sevin - Ovation Engineering, Inc.
    http://www.ovationengineering.com

Talking Reading your Exec tapes

I went thru this with some GE1050 tapes.It is not real easy,but here is how I did it.

1-You need a sereil tape reader,it has to have an RS232 port.I bought a used one from GReat American Equipment for 100..Its made by Remex.Set the out put for 2400 baud, 8 data bits,no parity.Use RTS/CTs hard wired protocol.Your cable will not be a null modem.Pin 2 to pin 2,pin 3 to pin3.dont waste your time trying to use a parallel reader.If you have a BTR,you will have to configure it to output the binary info out the 232 port as it reads it into your controls memory.Id go with the tape reader.
    2-Use a simple dos type communications type software.The communications for Bobcad or Mastercam will also work well.Old Procomm works also.Set the software to the same settings as the tape reader.Connect the cable,enable the computer to receive.There are also some old DOS commands that will capture info on the comm ports,you will have to reaserch that one though...
    3 load your tape and tell the tape reader to go.Binary files in an ASCll editor look like junk,and have no margins.Its just continious data.Read each tape three times and compare them in Hex Edit(free to down load).Beware that not all your tapes may be binary.Msd,patch tapes,leadscrew comp and options are often ASCll or eia.
    4 When I did this,I used an old test G Code tape (that I had a print out of)to get the whole operation up and running.If you have the time,this is a great lesson in parrallel and seriel communications.Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JR1050 View Post
    f you have the time,this is a great lesson in parrallel and seriel communications.Good luck.
    I actually converted a Fanuc reader I had from Parallel to serial using a Older UART IC, it works great at 9600 baud.
    It was a compatible program that I needed that didn't strip nulls and esacpe out on Control Z etc. Also store the whole buffer in one shot.
    I am actually getting them off with a program Holbieone wrote for me, hopefully I will have them all this week end.
    Al.

Albert E.

Exec tapes

I had tried using the remex parallel reader that came in the B&S with a simple converter.The problem I ran into is it required some logic to get it to go.I did get a read or two before frustration set in,but I wasnt sure exactly what an Exec looked like at the time and decided to go easy and spend the 100 bucks.Fanuc tape raeders are ttl,you could have read the tape directly into yor 25 pin parallel port if you have the right driver-way to much for me!