586,043 active members*
3,950 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Newbie with a question on SainSmart USB controller

Newbie with a question on SainSmart USB controller

I am an old fa*t trying to keep my brain working. Retired electrical engineering background and twenty year Navy veteran. Absolutely NO CNC background!

A friend recently gave me an old D&M 4 machine and the challenge was ON to get it working. All the research and reading about the old 386 processor convinced me to just gut the electronics and install new drivers, stepper motors and use a SainSmart four axis (only need three but they don't make one with three) USB interface. After two weeks of waiting for parts and tinkering I have the unit working for just a little over $300. While it needs a little more "tuning" for accuracy, I am quite pleased with the machine (and myself).

Now I would like to figure out how to use the relay outputs on the SainSmart board. There are four different output ports for controlling things like cooling, spindle, etc. I cannot find any documentation on how these output ports are controlled or what their levels are. I assume they are binary - either ON or OFF but I am not 100% sure. I am sure there is an "M" code for each of these outputs but what are they? All of the "M" codes for spindle and coolant are more than a simple ON/OFF function Documentation for the SainSmart seems to be VERY lacking.

Sure would appreciate any guidance from this group.

If I can perfect this machine I plan to advance to a much bigger router based system and possible laser addition.

Thanks and Happy New Year from frigid Central Oregon (2 degrees outside and about 18" of the white "stuff".

Lenp49

Post Re: Newbie with a question on SainSmart USB controller

Lenp49.

Page 12 of the SainSmart documentation has the output port information.

The commanded port will either toggle high "+5vdc" or low "0vdc" depending on the state.

See attached PDF.

Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Re: Newbie with a question on SainSmart USB controller

jalessi,

Thanks for the quick reply! I had that document and had not read far enough I guess. I will play with it today and see if I can get it to work.

Lenp49