586,281 active members*
3,818 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Restarting in mazatrol program

I am trying to figure out how to restart to a certain peck depth, after having stopped the program. We are face grooving with several peck depths, I can restart at a process # but not at those numbers with a dash after (Process no. 4-18 etc). The controll is a T Plus, Mazak Qt 15N ,Mazatrol program.
    Does anybody know how to restart in the middle of program and certain peck without having to cut air to get back to point left off at?

Quote Originally Posted by Castle1 View Post
    I am trying to figure out how to restart to a certain peck depth, after having stopped the program. We are face grooving with several peck depths, I can restart at a process # but not at those numbers with a dash after (Process no. 4-18 etc). The controll is a T Plus, Mazak Qt 15N ,Mazatrol program.
    Does anybody know how to restart in the middle of program and certain peck without having to cut air to get back to point left off at?
    No, it can not be restarted in a mid cycle process.

Break the process up into sections.
    Wayne Hill

Find out what depth you stopped at, then change the starting point of "Z". This should allow you to rapid into just before where you stopped. Start about .008" before the actual depth of the groove. Be sure to change your starting point back to the original "Z" before running the next part.
    Steve

How deep is your Face Groove? Why do you need to stop and restart the Face Grooving Cycle? I for one try to avoid "Pecking", if a chip gets stuck in the groove when your groover comes in for your next peck it will chip the insert, been there done that!!
    If your problem is with chips building up, try using an insert with a chip breaker built on to it! And, I go along with "WayneHill" and "Newby2", besides "Pecking" only adds time to your Cycle!!!

WILLwork4money

Depth of face cut

The part is 6" OD and the face pocket is over 1.500 Deep, Cast Iron, the ID is 4.500 max and leaving a hub of .875. It has a few contours in the bottom. The Stopping and starting, well it varies on the reasons why usually just quitting time, sometimes having to change the tooling. I've run a Hurco mill and I can restart at any peck level, so I was hoping The Mazak would do the same.

Why?

"Newby2" is right you can not restart in the middle of a process. If the problem is quitting time why are you stopping while it is the middle of the grove? Finish the grove and then punch out.

Any process in Mazatrol T Plus can be restarted at any point within that process if one knows exactly how and what that process does. It is just a matter of modifing the the numbers within that process, the programming, to have it start where you want, X and Z included. If your face groove is, say, .485 deep in Z, then change the starting point of Z in the program for that process to .480. The tool should rapid to .008" before Z 0 and the programmed X point; then it will rapid (G0) to .480, then feed (G1) to the destination point required at the speed and feed previously programmed.
    Steve

could you take it to the depth you need and then start a new process to finish to the correct depth

There is no need to add another process to the program...simply change the starting point of Z. Be sure to change it back for the next part
    Steve

I've got it, Thanks

Thanks Alot all you guys, for the help, I've got an idea of where to go from here now, here is an attachment of the part in question, it's a jpeg. In case you guys have other suggestions on how to go about machining this type of face pocket. It was tricky finding a long enough grooving tool and had to make a special holder.(alot of chatter)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pulley.jpg  

We run something quite simular to this and use a bar out/ bar in process utilizing a trepanning tool with a .236 wide insert. with a .04 DOC, sounds like a foghorn but gets it done. The corners of the insert are used as 2 separate tools, eg 7 &7A. This configuration allows the ID, in your case, the 5.125 dim, and the OD, again in your case, the 1.375 dim, to be individually adjusted in the offset page.
    Steve

Have you try TPS. Check your operation manual.... you can restart at middle of the cycle.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

A different appraoch

Instead of watching a grooving tool do all the work we drilled a starting hole then used an endmill to plow out all the mat'l (for those who have live tooling) and used the groove tool to skim the finish. Worked great!

John

TPS works great

"Tool Position Store" , I hit feed hold then TPS button, one of the manual buttons, spindle stops then I can back out change insert etc, then auto restart and it will go right into where it left off,
    Thanks newTexas2006, yeah lovell110 live tooling sounds nice, we don't have it though.

"Tool Position Store" , I hit feed hold then TPS button, one of the manual buttons, spindle stops then I can back out change insert etc, then auto restart and it will go right into where it left off,
    Thanks newTexas2006, yeah lovell110 live tooling sounds nice, we don't have it though.
    It's interesting how many people/opperators don't know what thats for.(nuts)
    A.J.L.

Yes you can.

Raed and understand the manual, then use the TPS button located roughly inn the middle far left. (at least on my controll panel)

You can also use dry run option to speed up the air tim until you get back to your cut. This is the safest way in case someone forgets to change the program to original data.