586,102 active members*
3,149 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > G0704 CNC Conversion - Ball Screw "wobble"

G0704 CNC Conversion - Ball Screw "wobble"

Hey guys, I was hoping I could get your opinion on a few small issues I am having before I carry on with the conversion. I managed to get the controller and mach3 to play nice and got some movement out of the Y axis of the mill. I am using Hoss's stage 3 plans, and with everything installed for the y-axis, I am getting a bit of "wobble" in the ball screw. When I set it up, I tightened the front bearing block assembly first, with the ball nut holder somewhat loose. Then cycled the ball screw back and forth a few times to try and help align itself. Then I tightened down both set screws that hold the ball nut mount in place.

I have two issues:

1. This is the best I could get the ball screw, but it still has a bit of wobble or misalignment to it. When the saddle gets close to the bearing mount block you can here the ball-screw actually hitting the bore at the opposite end. Is there a better method of trying to align the ball screw then what I am currently doing? I'm assuming the current alignment is not acceptable.

2. It also seems to me that this ball screw is pretty noisy. If you listen carefully in the video, I can hear the ball bearings moving around in the ball-nut, is this normal ? Its definitely louder then I expected. I had to repack the balls in this nut because the mandrel I made to remove the shaft failed and so all the balls came out. I divided the balls up (Aprox. 100 total) evenly and put half in each of the nuts.

Anyways, any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: G0704 CNC Conversion - Ball Screw "wobble"

Go back and forth tightening them a couple of times.

If you could use an anti gravity hot air balloon to lift the outer end it would solve the alignment problem.

Otherwise it is bent.

Don

There is a slight bend in the screw. Take the screw out and roll it on a granite plate and you can find the bend. To straighten, jut use a couple vee blocks in a drill press to push the bend out. It isn't that hard to do.

Ill pull it out today and have a quick look on my welding bench. Its about as flat as I can get until I get it to work on Monday to check it on the granite surface table. I'm a bit disappointed that this is a problem, I really shouldn't have to try and straighten a precision ground ball screw.

Quote Originally Posted by janz99 View Post
    Ill pull it out today and have a quick look on my welding bench. Its about as flat as I can get until I get it to work on Monday to check it on the granite surface table. I'm a bit disappointed that this is a problem, I really shouldn't have to try and straighten a precision ground ball screw.
    It's not a precision ground ball screw.. it's a C7 ROLLED ball screw.. HUGE difference.
    Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    It's not a precision ground ball screw.. it's a C7 ROLLED ball screw.. HUGE difference.
    I agree there is a large difference, but regardless, its still a huge pain in the ass and in my opinion shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

I checked the ball screw and it was in fact bent. I used a small arbor press I had in the shop and managed to get it straight-ish. Its definitely better than what it was, but not perfect.

I also took apart the ball nut again, checked and re-packed it and made sure when I was assembling it, that a ball didn't get stuck between the circuits. Its still a bit noisy by my standards, but I'm going to leave it and try it as it is.