586,103 active members*
3,298 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Pics? Crane / Forks Lifting a Bridgeport Interact 412 VMC?

Pics? Crane / Forks Lifting a Bridgeport Interact 412 VMC?

How can I move my "New" VMC!? I bought a Bridgeport Interact 412. I haven't seen it in person.

If I can unload my trailer with a crane, I will save a lot of headaches.

OR, if I can use forks from BOTH the front and the side, then I'll rent a tilt trailer. Then I can roll off with a winch and 1 or 2 pallet jacks!

ALSO! If anyone can provide good Pictures under the machine, I would like to see how I can get under the mill with forks.

Loading will be done by the seller, with a large outdoor forklift. Unloading will be the issue.

Thank you for any help and info!!

Re: Pics? Crane / Forks Lifting a Bridgeport Interact 412 VMC?

Here are a couple of threads on the Mach forum that show moving a machine like yours. Might give you some ideas. Forklift would be my choice.

Approx. Weight: 5060 lbs.
    Dimensions: 74"W x 92"D x 92"H

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/in...?topic=13365.0

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/in...?topic=24763.0

Jim, Thanks!
    I don't see if forks can get under the side. It doesn't look like a pallet jack will fit from either side.

Tons of good pics, Jim!

Is there a good way to lift these with a crane?

I would say that if you can get a forklift in from the side as shown in the pictures, then a pallet jack would also fit. One on each side should be doable. As far as a crane, if there is a lifting point near the top of the machine then yes, you should be able to lift it with a crane.

If you don't have one, then renting a forklift on the unload end would be the best idea. Given that the machine weighs around 5000 lbs, I would want at least an 8500 lb forklift, better if it was around 10,000 lbs. An offroad reach type forklift would be the best. That would also allow you to use it as a crane if that is the best way to handle it.

The casting on this machine is a little funky and gave my mover a bit of a problem when here moved it. The casting is narrow and in the back, it has a offshoot that supports the electrical cabinet and shouldn't be used to lift the machine as the mover said. I have included a few pics of the stripped machine so you can take a look as well as the lifting by the mover. Hope this helps. I can take other pics if you need them

There is a section in the hanbook how to lift it I saw it when I retrofitted one of these it is just at the beginning section

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Could someone maybe scan that part for me? Or get a picture of it? Thanks Tkamsker!

Quote Originally Posted by Tkamsker View Post
    There is a section in the hanbook how to lift it I saw it when I retrofitted one of these it is just at the beginning section

The handbook is at the machine I will be at the machine next time Beginning of February I only copied the electric part which I needed

The crane is free, forklift is about $500-600. I agree, if I use a forklift, it will need to be an off-road reach machine. And I think you're right about the capacities I will need too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I would say that if you can get a forklift in from the side as shown in the pictures, then a pallet jack would also fit. One on each side should be doable. As far as a crane, if there is a lifting point near the top of the machine then yes, you should be able to lift it with a crane.

If you don't have one, then renting a forklift on the unload end would be the best idea. Given that the machine weighs around 5000 lbs, I would want at least an 8500 lb forklift, better if it was around 10,000 lbs. An offroad reach type forklift would be the best. That would also allow you to use it as a crane if that is the best way to handle it.

That helps a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by microtrol View Post
    The casting on this machine is a little funky and gave my mover a bit of a problem when here moved it. The casting is narrow and in the back, it has a offshoot that supports the electrical cabinet and shouldn't be used to lift the machine as the mover said. I have included a few pics of the stripped machine so you can take a look as well as the lifting by the mover. Hope this helps. I can take other pics if you need them

Do you remember how they chained it down?

Quote Originally Posted by microtrol View Post

Attachment 346202
    Cant remember exactly but I think he used the two front holes on the front side (see Pic) and chained it down to the truck bed. He might have also used the back edge of the coolant channels. I know he didnt strap it down on the sheet metal. Sorry
    Brandt

HI There,

You need a 2" bar through the front lower holes and a 2" bar through the top rear holes in the casting. Use strops to lift the machine using these bars. You will need to remove the two access plates in the machine tray (please see photo) each side of the Y axis to access the front lower lifting bar.

Lift onto a trailer or flat bed truck....Remove in the same way and use machine skates / forklift to position.

Attachment 346236

Attachment 346240

Attachment 346242

Pistonjuice thank you so much! I would not have found those openings on my own

I want to tell you guys thanks for the help! The move went well, all in all. Lots of hang-ups, but we got everything worked out in the end!
    I had a friend with, he really made it happen. And the owner had his 2 right-hand men helping.

Thanks everyone!