586,062 active members*
4,656 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > tree 425 cat 40 help

tree 425 cat 40 help

So I just recieved my first cnc mill. It is a tree journeyman 425 that uses cat 40 tooling. as I have only used the manual R8 collets before I am totally in the dark. Where do I find used tool holders and what do i need. It seems like I can get one end mill holder that fits multiple sleeves for the different sized end mills. what do I need for a drill chuck? what about running taps?

check out e bay or call whom ever you got the machine from they should be able to tell you
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

CAT40 is way better than R8, but it will be more expensive as you need a lot of different tool holders instead of just some collets.

Keep in mind that before you start machining you need to have all your tools loaded into the holders so that you can measure the lengths and enter that into the control.

You can get some pretty good deal on Bison or Techniks toolholders from different eBay shops. I bought a Techniks starter kit that was on sale after one of the big tool shows (Eastec I think).

http://www.techniksusa.com/
    http://www.toolmex.com/tools/THome.asp

Download the catalogs and get familiar with things.

I don't have a pullstud sitting here but I'm pretty sure it is a PS475 which is an industry standard part that I think is also used on some Fadals.

You didn't say what you are doing, but I'd suggest you look at getting several ER16 and ER32 collet chucks and extra collets in the standard sizes. I think the collets tend to run a little truer than EM holders. You'll also want to get some drill chucks (but just for drills, not milling) and you can hold a boring head with a straight shank in an EM holder.

The more tools you need to use in a job, the more holders you need to have. Buy one of the Bison CAT40 toolholder bench stands to use when changing tools or putting pull studs into the holders. They are pretty reasonably priced and worth it. Also get some of those plastic racks that hold 10 CAT40 tools - they are about $22 each. A Huot toolcart specifically for CAT40 would be really nice if you have a lot of tooling, but it isn't cheap.

cheers,
    Michael

hows the spindle boar taper

if it's real nice and tight i would only use new tools

if it's worn well you can only make it worse

to check the taper start with a new holder (or one with no wear) blue it up with lay out ink
    then put it in and out of the spindle a few time

you should see the ink worn off the total length of the bore the shorter the worn spot the more the bore is worn

they can be reground for around $500.00 if there's some one in you location it's more if they have to fly in

or you can remove the spindle and ship it out

CAT 40 Tooling

I think I have seen a CAT 40 to R8 toolholders. That way you can still use the R8 tooling that you already have.

Good Luck
    Joe