586,275 active members*
3,362 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Reference Point Toolsetter Probe

Reference Point Toolsetter Probe

Hi

I've a question about how to work with a toolsetter probe.

I configured a toolsetter probe for my mill and it's working fine. But I'm not sure if I'm doing it the right way.

This is what I do:
    I load up my 3d taster (my tool to zero X, Y and Z)
    probe for tool length and once it hits the probe I zero the Z. So I have a reference point for setting tools.
    After this I add the 0 value (minus 2, because this would mean the 3d taster indicates 0. I can't jog the 3d taster from -2 to 0 because it would push in the toolsetter probe )
    The value for my 3d taster will be -2 and I save it in the tool table.
    After this I touch off all my other tools.

When I want to machine a part I use my 3d taster to set X, Y and Z of the part.
    I go to the top of my part and set 0.

Everything will be working fine and my tools will automatically have the right offset.

But what if I want to add another holder with a tool, or change a tool (because it's dull)?
    I can't put in the new tool and probe directly. Because Z zero has changed to the workpiece.
    What I'm doing is I load my 3d taster tool, probe (not going to enter new values in the table, but just hit the probe switch) and zero Z (like I did in the beginning)
    This way the tool will have the right offset related to other tools.

This works fine if I'm done machining. But what if I'm in the middle of a machining process. And need to swap/change/add a tool?
    Then I need to zero the toolsetter and after adding the new tool, I should re zero the workpiece.

There should be an easier way. But I don't know how?

Re: Reference Point Toolsetter Probe

I'd like to help you but I'm a little confused on how you are setting up your machine. Does your tool setter use a macro when picking up tool heights? Is it just a indicator chucked in the spindle? Do you use positive or negative tool height values? Do you have a fixture outside of the machine for setting tools? I set tools in different ways depending what I think will work best at the time. But it is always set from the same Z reference plane. The Z reference plane is where I set my Z work offsets from. This can be any point. The machines I work on we picked a fixed spot in the machine that never moves. It sounds to me like you picked your indicator zero minus two inches. Is this the gage line of your spindle?

Re: Reference Point Toolsetter Probe

i am not sure if i get it right, but it seems to me that you can not input tool corections any time

... you need a zero gauge
    ... it would help if you would know where is phisically located the 0 plane on your machine
    ... you don;t have a tool setter ? ...
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg