586,756 active members*
8,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > RF-45 Clone Mill > ENCO RF45 Clone CNC Conversion - LinuxCNC

Hybrid View

Re: ENCO RF45 Clone CNC Conversion - LinuxCNC

John, I see we both suffer from the same malady, paralysis by analysis

The base of my column has a round opening and enough of a ledge for the gas struts to rest on. They are not retained in any way. My original plan was to add a plate with holes in it to retain the ends of the struts like you mentioned, but it has not been needed.

If you don't have enough of a ledge you could maybe add a bracket to the webs in the base casting for the ends of the struts to rest on.

I have a milti-shot oiling system, it consists of an oil can lol. Eventually I plan on adding a full single-shot system, but I have not got around to it yet. The Millers have some great oiling system ideas in the GRIZ build thread.

Those are nice servos! I just put a 1.5 HP VFD spindle on my machine, but I am still running the gears. I am trying to decide on a fixed 1:1.25 ratio belt drive, or a Fadal style two speed drive. I really want to do the Fadal drive, but its probably more effort than it is worth.

Let me know how you like the Acorn, I've heard very mixed opinions of it.

Cheers,
    Kurt

Re: ENCO RF45 Clone CNC Conversion - LinuxCNC

Kurt,

How will you go about replacing the shock ? Going from underneath the mill? I cannot see a way to install new ones unless one goes from the underside of the mill. Thanks!

(dang system wont let me post pictures!)

As far as Acorn I'll let you know but it may be sometime yet maybe end of summer.. But really I'm not investing all that much in the Acorn so if it doesn't work to my liking I can go with something else. All the serious money is really in the Servos & assoc. drives and the ballscrews and assoc components. The Acorn is only 300$.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot the limit switches are 100$ apeice so are the home switches, that's about $600---- .0005" positional
    repeatability for the switches themselves, give or take. They ain't cheap!

So the Acorn is maybe 10% of the total mod cost.