586,717 active members*
3,163 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > 1988 First Bed Mill with Fanuc OM-B control won't initialize axis

Smile 1988 First Bed Mill with Fanuc OM-B control won't initialize axis

I have an old First LC-CV305 bed mill with an OM-B control made in 1988. It is a basic 3 axis bed mill with power draw bar and mechanical variable speed spindle. Built like a brick **** house it has larger ways than the Monarch VMC 75s I have. I saw the machine run satisfactorily before purchase. Now that it is installed in my shop I have only been able to get axis movement once. All 3 axis were moving, now all are stationary.

The machine did jog and travel with either handwheel or jog buttons in my shop. It took about 15 minutes of messing around with various HMI buttons to get it to work. I moved the axis close to the limits so I could clean the machine up. I left the power on. Then no activity 30 minutes later when I wanted to jog the table to a different position. I tried reproducing the last set of buttons I pushed and it did not start the axis movement.

According to the manual for this machine, axis should be ready for movement after computer screen runs past diagnostics. No other buttons need be pushed. The only installation change I made was I by passed the 575 transfomer as my input voltage is 208VAC 3 phase. The machines nominal running voltage is 200 VAC. When pushing the jog buttons only the "minus" direction lights up. The "positive" does not. Oil resevoir is full. Air pressure is up at 90 psi. The edit lock key is in unlocked. I cleaned the HMI rotary switches.

There are no alarms, no over travel limit switches open, or emergency stop buttons pushed. All the fuses are ok. The power draw bar does not function: it is broken. However I am skeptical it has anything with the none active axis. It won't move in jog, rapid, go home, using hand wheel or push botton.

I tried the usual; push the power start button twice, push other reset and cancel buttons, e stop pulled out, talked to previous owner and they had some ideas but no luck. Rebooted machine several times.

When the disconnect is turned on there is power inside the control cabinet and the fans are running. When the HMI power button is turned on you can hear several small relays turn on, the display lights up, and several seconds later a larger contactor engages, which I believe to be the main power to the servo amps. However I could not confirm this as I couldn't run fast enough to the relay panel to figure out which one went on.

Is there a specific Fanuc part that typically fails? Or will I have to go through each wire and switch and check for connectivity and/or function? Without further help, I am assuming at this point that the 1-1/2 hour shipping trip has rattled something creating a poor electrical connection creating the no axis movement situation I have.

Any suggestions as to what to look for? Thank you for reading my post! Thanks for your help inadvance.

Best regards, Steve v

Re: 1988 First Bed Mill with Fanuc OM-B control won't initialize axis

Check the content of parameters, which are described in attached file

Thanks for the information! I went to the screen and I don't have 1/2 of the diagnostics mentioned. I suspect your information comes from a new machine? The OM-B control was installed in Oct 1987 onto the First frame. Attached is a picture of what I get upon power up.

Attachment 346266

yes you are right it's from 0C series manual, but your parameters are described there
    your diagnostics is OK
    let's go from the beginning
    - do you have any signal lamp on the panel which can be assumed as "ready" signal? is it ON?
    - is there "standby" pushbutton?
    - do you have a paper copy of ladder (software relay logic) or at least wiring diagram?
    Take photos of the panel and entrails of electrical cabinet after power on

Quote Originally Posted by guhl View Post
    yes you are right it's from 0C series manual, but your parameters are described there
    your diagnostics is OK
    let's go from the beginning
    - do you have any signal lamp on the panel which can be assumed as "ready" signal? is it ON?
    - is there "standby" pushbutton?
    - do you have a paper copy of ladder (software relay logic) or at least wiring diagram?
    Take photos of the panel and entrails of electrical cabinet after power on
    OK it looks like a foo paa on my part. The axis was initialized. Servo motors are on holding position. It is as if the control is waiting for a command from something else. I can't get the axis to move with the manual controls; jog, hand wheel, rapid. Then I tried pressing "p" and "cancel" soft buttons during control power up and I was able to get them to move.

Moving forward I have this no response problem come up periodically. The "p" & "cancel" doesn't always work. I might have a button problem. However I was running a test program via DNC trying to verify my post settings and communication settings, I stopped the program with feed hold and cancel button, and now can't get the same program to run again. Atleast the axis all respond to manual input commands. Just can't get a program to run. One note is that all programs run DNC. There is no running from memory.

I just wonder if these "not running" problems are all related? I have never run a Fanuc before. This control seems really sensitive to any faults. Is there a global reset command or something that can be pushed to clear the faults? Can a faulty key board cause these issues?

I have a wiring diagram but it is not quite the same as my machine. No relay logic drawings. I have attached a picture of the same diagnostics screen as before. However now 710 and 711 have changed state. Is this normal considering I can't run DNC right now?

Thanks for your help Guhl!

Attachment 346672

Quote Originally Posted by stevevanderloo View Post
    OK it looks like a foo paa on my part. The axis was initialized. Servo motors are on holding position. It is as if the control is waiting for a command from something else. I can't get the axis to move with the manual controls; jog, hand wheel, rapid. Then I tried pressing "p" and "cancel" soft buttons during control power up and I was able to get them to move.

Moving forward I have this no response problem come up periodically. The "p" & "cancel" doesn't always work. I might have a button problem. However I was running a test program via DNC trying to verify my post settings and communication settings, I stopped the program with feed hold and cancel button, and now can't get the same program to run again. Atleast the axis all respond to manual input commands. Just can't get a program to run. One note is that all programs run DNC. There is no running from memory.

I just wonder if these "not running" problems are all related? I have never run a Fanuc before. This control seems really sensitive to any faults. Is there a global reset command or something that can be pushed to clear the faults? Can a faulty key board cause these issues?

I have a wiring diagram but it is not quite the same as my machine. No relay logic drawings. I have attached a picture of the same diagnostics screen as before. However now 710 and 711 have changed state. Is this normal considering I can't run DNC right now?

Thanks for your help Guhl!

Attachment 346672
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First 0M-B different diagnostics after stopping DNC.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	346696

have you done axis homing after canceling soft limits (P and CAN during power on)?
    have you entered RS232 parameters?

Quote Originally Posted by guhl View Post
    have you done axis homing after canceling soft limits (P and CAN during power on)?
    have you entered RS232 parameters?
    Sometimes P & Cancel don't respond. There are times when I have had to let the machine sit for a day unpowered (with the disconnect off) before the P & CANCEL will work, followed by machine homing.

I have not entered any RS232 parameters. I have assumed that they were set before. I have Fanuc 0M-B manuals on order that should arrive next week. I don't want to mess with any parameters unless I have supporting documentation to help my understanding of what I am changing.

There are a lot of information about rs232 and Fanuc 0