586,119 active members*
3,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Easy CNC and Easy Stepp'n

Question Easy CNC and Easy Stepp'n

Hi

I don't know if this is in the right forum, but I was thinking about buying these books:
    Easy CNC
    Easy Stepp'n
    David Benson writes both of these books. Does anyone own these books and did they find them useful? I am a beginner at CNC.

Thanks
    Kyle

Books are knowledge. The question is how deep do you wish to go.

Low level might be that every single command be thought, plotted and applied. Fun but very time consuming.

High level.. (very) would be to think of something to be done, the machinery automatically reading your mind and producing the end result immediately..sorta Star Trek.

For me being 60 plus, nitty gritty is out. I purchased a mid level cad/cam thus jumping beyond memorizing g codes, trig tool paths, positions, etc and got to making the project. I also was changing occupations, becoming self employed, and had to put food on the table. To that end I was competing (quoting jobs against people with 20 years cnc experience).

I had to get up to speed quickly.

Desire or necessity, fun or survival is the question to be answered.

So, FranH, what was your final choice of CAD/CAM products to help you jump to production in order to compete?

Quote Originally Posted by kylecroft View Post
    Hi

I don't know if this is in the right forum, but I was thinking about buying these books:
    Easy CNC
    Easy Stepp'n
    David Benson writes both of these books. Does anyone own these books and did they find them useful? I am a beginner at CNC.

Thanks
    Kyle
    I own a copy of Easy Stepp'n. I bought it when I was first looking into CNC and at that time I thought that it was a little bit pricey. Over time it's been a useful reference though I haven't built anything from it. I don't regret having purchased it but in retrospect there's enough information on the net that with some aggressive Google-ing and the asking of questions on the 'Zone' you're unlikely to really need it. It's the kind of book that you wish your local library had a copy of . You could enjoy reading it, take what you might need from it and then go spend the $40 on some parts.

Chris

Thanks for all of the help. I think I'm just gonna stick with Googling and Zoning. My library does have some other CNC books so I am going to check thoes out.

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by kylecroft View Post
    Thanks for all of the help. I think I'm just gonna stick with Googling and Zoning. My library does have some other CNC books so I am going to check thoes out.

Kyle
    Don't be intimitdated to ask questions on the Zone. There is more information here than could ever be put in a book and it's generally quite accessible. Books are great though for giving a basic framework to a subject.

Chris