586,069 active members*
3,337 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > cadcam software dolphin or shopcam help

View Poll Results: cad cam dolphin or shopcam comparision

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • ease of use dolphin 3d milling

1 20.00%
  • ease of use shopcam 3d milling

2 40.00%
  • value for money dolphin

2 40.00%
  • value for money shopcam

3 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Smile cadcam software dolphin or shopcam help

Hi I have looking for cad/cam software for sometime and I have downloaded and done some trials with Dolpnin and ShopCam. If anyone is using either of these programs please could you let me have your views. I will primarily be using the software for similtaneous 3 axis milling wit a Yasnak MX3 control and 2d milling with a fanuc 6M control.

I am based in Cape Town an would have to do setups and training via email .

lookon forward to some ideas

Dolphin

I have yet too see a negative review with Dolphin. That is a green light. Reviews have been it is extremely simple to use. Also seen reviews that it is extremely powerful, not only for the money, but even if it was an expensive program. ShopCAM on the other hand, I dont know much about? Is it CAD/CAM or just CAM?

I use AutoCAD and couldn't get the hang of Dolphin CAD... but I suspect this is just me bwing used to AutoCAD.

However... with only one day experience of Conventional CNC machining I was able to import the Acad drawing into Dolphon CAM and get the G code output with extreme ease... bear in mind I had never done this before.

Dolphin CAM was a pleasure to use and made my first ever conventional CNC'd part with only 1 day (self) training- the manual was extremely easy to understand.

Here's what I made...only a simple part, but a start!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sil001.jpg  
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Hi thanks for your input about Dolphin Cad

regards

Don

I have had Shopcam for over a decade ......ANYBODY even THINKING of getting within a million miles of it risks immediate death.....no warning shots!!!

It is a CAD/CAM. Mine is DOS.....I put the print on the screen, dimension exactly as shown on the b/p, Post processor # 104 works fine. Upon occasion the Yasnak when executing will put the cutter on the wrong side and give an error. It will be the next one or 2 events after the one indicated. Edit that one event (tool side from 1 to 2) and you're off and running. You need to change its extension to .cam when saving. You can do a dnc from the computer.

D.Broderick is a soft sell and one of the few honest people left out there. Tell him Fran Hutchins said hello...nothing for me....just a happy customer.

Mine utilizes lines, points and arcs. If machining 3 axis means surfacing (airfoils etc.), I'm not into that...if you are machining a pocket via multipass Z depth no problem. Explain that to Broderick so you both are on the same page.

If I can help let me know.

Regards;

FranH

HI Fran,

thanks for the info, i will try and do some work on the demo version regards Don

I am not sure what you mean by
    "ANYBODY even THINKING of getting within a million miles of it risks immediate death.....no warning shots!!! "