586,060 active members*
4,328 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Acquired a non-working CNC mill for free. I have questions

Acquired a non-working CNC mill for free. I have questions

Hi all,
    Like the title says, I was given a CNC mill for free. It doesn't work, but I've been assured it's not far from being functional, and it's in basically brand new condition. (It was used for training on machine calibration equipment. It's never cut a chip or even had a collet installed.) I'm hoping to get some help from the community.
    The machine is a Light machines Corp VMC 5001 with an Acramatic 2100 control. (if there's a better section to be posting in, please let me know.)

What seems to be stopping it from working right now is something wrong with the control or pendant.
    During start-up I get a message saying
    "At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use event viewer to examine the event log for details"
    then a little later during startup, I get to the A2100 system load.

Sometimes it shows that the touch screen has failed, but it looks like I can use a mouse, so I'm not too concerned.
    It always shows "NC Engine Base" as failed.
    I can't get it to power the machine itself.
    I was told by the guy that used to use the machine that it was a problem with the pendant. I can say that the pendant looks brand new, and all the LEDS and all pixels of the LCD work. (they light briefly during startup, but don't come on again)
    If anybody knows what's going on, or can direct me to somewhere where someone might, it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Acquired a non-working CNC mill for free. I have questions

"At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use event viewer to examine the event log for details"
    That looks like a Windows error.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Does it work without the pendant? Sometimes you need to remove everything non-essential to start seeing what's going on. Here's a thread from an earlier discussion of these things: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/contro...-software.html
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by JimBrucker View Post
    I can say that the pendant looks brand new, and all the LEDS and all pixels of the LCD work. (they light briefly during startup, but don't come on again)
    If anybody knows what's going on, or can direct me to somewhere where someone might, it would be greatly appreciated.
    I bought a pendant for my Shopmaster and had a similar issue and found that the software had not installed correctly. I re-installed it and it worked fine. In Mach 3 you need to look in the Plugins to see if the software is there and checked green.