586,991 active members*
3,923 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hand held band saw?

I was wondering if there was anything like a Hand held band saw? I need to cut a shape out of wood. A band saw would be ideal for this, but I don’t have one. So I was wondering is there was any hand held power tools that you would recommend?

Thanks,
    Mark

How about a jigsaw?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

A jigsaw is probably what you are looking for, yes there are portable band saws, but not too handy for curve cuts.
    Steven

Would a jigsaw cut out something like an electric guitar shape? Also what is the name for the portable band saws, were could I find one at? Also what blades do you recommand?

Thanks
    Mark

also what about a Cut-Out Tool ? is that what the tool is for as well?

Thanks,
    Mark

The portable band saws offered don't have much throat depth. They are also competitively priced with the low end band saws offered by companies like Grizzly, or Harbor Freight. A jigsaw would be capable of the cutting you need, but you will want to take it slow, and cut oversived, sanding to the finished line. Sometimes on a thick piece, the blade will cut at a downword angle, instead of perpendicular to the work surface. That is why I say to take it slow. I have personally cut through 2.5" thick work with one.
    Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hello!

I think that you would be a lot better off if you made a thin pattern and used a router to copy it in thicker stock.

A chain saw might be an option.
    Bill.

i have a sawmill

A jig saw will do the trick. I've used one on several occasions to cut out guitar bodies. The big draw back is that you wil not get the cuts perpendicular to the top and back and you will need to use a drum sander or oscillating spindle sander to square them up. You can probably look in the phone book and find a woodworking shop or cabinet shop that would cut out your body for a few bucks, just bring your wood and pattern to them and see what they can do you for.
    Nathan