586,546 active members*
3,295 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fixture Offsets

Okay, so I've got my first fixture soft-jaw setup (BTW - the CarveSmart system is pretty slick) and am having a slight little issue due to some of my original machining. In the upper left you see a small box - this is the XYZ 0 for all the parts. My issue is that two of the parts are "slightly" off (.003") on location in reference to Z. One way would be to go adjust the model to reflect the altered location. However, what I'd rather do is "adjust" the origin for that OP. In Fusion 360 is there a way to adjust the XYZ 0 by +/- xxxxx???? We're talking about less than .005" in most cases.

Thanks CNC Zone family.

Attachment 349168
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Re: Fixture Offsets

You can create as many coordinate systems as you like, and apply them to the operations in any way you like. I frequently have anywhere from 2-6 different coordinate systems in any given job. Just create a plane, put a sketch on that plane with a point and lines where you want the origin to be (probably located relative to existing faces/edges), then create a new coordinate system, using that sketch to position the origin and axes.

Regards,
    Ray L.

On this note...I have someone's post-processor and it's awesome (SCruz E G? I forget who sent it to me). Series 3 1100 with ATC.

Anyway, I can't post tapping operations or multiple WCS with this post and would like to.

Subscribing because the answer might fine me.

Ray's advice above is solid.

WW
    Manufacturing & Development
    ThermaeCooling.com

If you're using one of the POSTs provided with Fusion, you should be able to cut/paste the following into the "tapping" case of the onCyclePoint method to make a 2:1 tapping head work:

case "tapping":
    if (tool.type === TOOL_TAP_RIGHT_HAND) {
    writeln(" (Tap: " + formatComment(tool.description) + ")");
    writeBlock(gMotionModal.format(0), zOutput.format(cycle.retract));
    writeBlock(gMotionModal.format(1), zOutput.format(z), feedOutput.format(F));
    writeBlock(gMotionModal.format(1), zOutput.format(cycle.retract + 0.75), feedOutput.format(F * 2));
    //onDwell(1.0);
    writeln("");
    }
    break;

Regards,
    Ray L.

If you are reinstalling vice Jaws they might nit be flat or were not originally flat in the vice. I like taking z and y across the entire jaw.

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Okay, so I've got my first fixture soft-jaw setup (BTW - the CarveSmart system is pretty slick) and am having a slight little issue due to some of my original machining. In the upper left you see a small box - this is the XYZ 0 for all the parts. My issue is that two of the parts are "slightly" off (.003") on location in reference to Z. One way would be to go adjust the model to reflect the altered location. However, what I'd rather do is "adjust" the origin for that OP. In Fusion 360 is there a way to adjust the XYZ 0 by +/- xxxxx???? We're talking about less than .005" in most cases.

Thanks CNC Zone family.

Attachment 349168

If it's just the Z that's off, why not keep your G55 XY the same as your G54 and use a new G55 Z height for those parts? That's what I would do since your other option is fixing the machining issues your introduced into your jaws.

Quote Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
    If it's just the Z that's off, why not keep your G55 XY the same as your G54 and use a new G55 Z height for those parts? That's what I would do since your other option is fixing the machining issues your introduced into your jaws.
    Unfortunately it's more than just the Z. This was my first multipart fixture and it shows.

Right now I'm just probing all the locations and moving my sketches in F360 to adjust for the correct locations.

Later,
    Awall

Unfortunately it's more than just the Z. This was my first multipart fixture and it shows.

Right now I'm just probing all the locations and moving my sketches in F360 to adjust for the correct locations.

Later,
    Awall
    Moving sketches is NEVER necessary. Learn how to create new coordinate systems in Fusion. You can put them absolutely anywhere you like.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Moving sketches is NEVER necessary. Learn how to create new coordinate systems in Fusion. You can put them absolutely anywhere you like.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    The problem is that I'm trying to set it up based on one XYZ setup point for all four parts in the fixture. It's not like I'm way off - just a thou or two.

Later,
    Awall
    I understand better now. You originally said it was just Z, so I figured having identical G54 and G55 X and Y would be easy, since you'd only have to set a different G55 Z (or however many more you'd need).