586,115 active members*
3,432 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Any Gecko Packages?

I am in the process of building a router. I would like to power it with 4 steppers (one is a slave on X axis). All pretty standard stuff, leadscrews, etc. I keep hearing from you folks that the Geckos are more powerful, abler to leap tall buildings, etc, etc. Ok, so I believe you. . . . BUT. . . My strong suit is mechanicals, definitely not electronics. I look at the Gecko pages, read, read. . and yup, my brain turned to jello.

So, the question is: Does anyone provide a Gecko Plug N Play package? I like the way XYLOTEC does it, but I hear all the stuff mentioned above. I am thinking in the 400 oz in range, btw.

Thanks, and I really do appreciate reading these forums, you folks are terrific!

it isnt really that hard... in theory... the hard part is spending the $$ without 'Knowing it will work'!

one of the best things about gecko seems to be mariss, who many of us have had personal contact with at some point.. i hate to send a newbie his way, but if you are ready to purchase 4 drivers, i bet he will give good advice

otherwise, consider looking at the pictures and PMing people with impressive Gecko setups?

most of us have lots of notes.. maybe someone can send you the parts list for their control box..

really, it is just a power supply, which can be surprisingly simple, the drivers, good wire, etc...

just, you know, cross your fingers when you hook up those high current steppers to your comparitively fragile drivers!

Contact Camtronics via email for complete packages. http://www.camtronics-cnc.com/
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Ger, that is exactly what I was looking for. I see that you answer a lot of the questions that come up on these forums, always a good concise answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Treischl View Post
    Does anyone provide a Gecko Plug N Play package?
    Click Here for CandCNC.

It is pretty close to what you are asking for & they will help you.

Thanks Weldtutor and Ger21. Both of those sites have been helpful. I am looking real hard at CANDNC, not sure about the other one yet.

Once again, thanks guys!

I second the Camtronics recommendation. I have a Camtronics Gecko Stepper setup on my benchtop that is nothing short of fantastic - Dan is quick, knowledgeable and extremely helpful with support and general questions.
    www.rc-monster.com

Any Gecko Packages

I heartily recommend CandCNC. The support you'll get from Tom is worth the cost of his products.

Paul

Dan also builds his boxes right. We very rarely get a damaged drive back for repair from people who use Camtronics boxes.

Mariss

I have had the pleasure of doing business with both Camtronics and CandCNC - multiple times. Both are top-notch. Great service and great quality from both. In my opinion you cannot go wrong with either. If you are looking for a bit more in the realm of kit-based (he also sells them fully assembled I think) chassis w/power supply setups for Gecko's along with a great quality selection of servo/stepper motors, Camtronics is probably the better choice. If you are in the realm of closer to turn-key for the power supply/driver/breakout realm, CandCNC would be the easier way to go.

I have a full PS + Gecko + Servo setup from Camtronics (buying a batch of 3 NEMA 23/400 servos, a single NEMA 23/400 servo and a single NEMA 34/800 servo - a total of three transactions)

I have two complete front end setups for steppers from CandCNC (I was so impressed with the first setup, I bought a second).

My setups are spread across a Joe's R2 kit based + some home build CNC router setup (stepper based), a 7x14 mini lathe using Steele's CNC plans and an X3 using a cncfusion kit that is servo based. I am presently waiting on a CNCBridges setup for an X2 that I will experiment using present components to determine if I go with stepper or servo for it. When done, I will decide if I will keep the X2 w/CNCBridges upgrade or the X3 with cncfusion upgrade.

Regards,
    George