586,103 active members*
3,214 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 9 123

New Grizzly G0602 10x20 Lathe

Last year I bought Grizzly's G0463 Small Mill, and converted it to CNC. I am now working on my own design for a CNC router (26" x 26"). In order to complete it though, I will need to turn the ends of the lead screws. Seems that was a good enough excuse to buy my first metal lathe.

I choose the new Grizzly G0602 10x20. As I did with the mill, I looked everywhere I could find, but Grizzly seemed to give the most for the money.

I have been cleaning it up, breaking it in, and anxiously waiting to start using it. As I do so, I am wondering if anyone on the boards has had experience with this same model. So, for my first post to CNCzone, I thought I should through this open to a new thread directed at the 10x20. I know there are going to be lots of people buying it (super value for < $1000), and as is the case with each new machine, it will likely have its own 'new' quirks.

So, here it is. Opportunity for 10x20 owners to be seen, be heard, and be counted. Please post your experience, thoughts, projects, mods, and anything else related to this machine.

Hi,

I am interested in hearing your comments once you use your new lathe. I was about to order an 8x12 but have held off since the new Grizzly catalog arrived with the new G0602. Any comments on how it compares to the 8x12?
    Thanks.....

Quote Originally Posted by RTP_Burnsville View Post
    Any comments on how it compares to the 8x12?
    Thanks.....
    I have no experience with the 8x12. Given that, I did get to see a 7x10 this past weekend. To me, it looked like a toy model compared to the 10x20. (Not putting down the 7x's but giving a verbal/visual analogy.)

When I consider buying a tool that I expect to use for a long time, and with which I expect to do high-quality work, I get very picky. When I bought the mill, I looked at the mini's in the $300-$600 range. Every time I thought I was getting close to making a decision, I imagined myself wanting "just a little more" than what they had to offer in terms of workpiece size. Even though I had a limited budget, I found the Grizzly small mill to be an excellent value and gave me piece of mind that any regrets regarding capabilities would be somewhat further down the road.

When I was ready to get the lathe, I went through the same agony of deciding between entry-level cost and longer-term happiness. 7x's and 8x's and even 9x's seemed to cost too much for the limitations. (I keep telling myself 'This is more expensive that I think it should be.') The 10x, however, seems to have more capabilities for the $. (I found myself saying 'What a great value!')

So, I ended up getting the most that I could afford at the time. That philosophy may be the best advice I can offer anyone. When it comes to tools, buying the best you can afford (you get to decide on the criteria for 'best') is a pretty good way to go. Get the best basic machine you can afford, and then go a little slower on the tooling and extras that you want. You can add extras a little at a time, but the basic machine is going to stay with you for a long time. Going undersized is not the best way to save money.

I will gladly keep everyone posted on the performance, but for now - it certainly 'feels' like the best decision I could have made.

just got this one...arrived a few days ago from ups, but it got killed bad during shipping...should have another one here by next week. I'll start putting up some pics and such when i get it.

Quote Originally Posted by twehr View Post
    Last year I bought Grizzly's G0463 Small Mill, and converted it to CNC. I am now working on my own design for a CNC router (26" x 26"). In order to complete it though, I will need to turn the ends of the lead screws. Seems that was a good enough excuse to buy my first metal lathe.

I choose the new Grizzly G0602 10x20. As I did with the mill, I looked everywhere I could find, but Grizzly seemed to give the most for the money.

I have been cleaning it up, breaking it in, and anxiously waiting to start using it. As I do so, I am wondering if anyone on the boards has had experience with this same model. So, for my first post to CNCzone, I thought I should through this open to a new thread directed at the 10x20. I know there are going to be lots of people buying it (super value for < $1000), and as is the case with each new machine, it will likely have its own 'new' quirks.

So, here it is. Opportunity for 10x20 owners to be seen, be heard, and be counted. Please post your experience, thoughts, projects, mods, and anything else related to this machine.
    I believe you are the first owner to report, its a new model, and was on b/o untill this week, I am considering it, please let us know what you think about it.
    regards chris

Right on! Have learned that the HARD way too many times.

So, I ended up getting the most that I could afford at the time. That philosophy may be the best advice I can offer anyone. When it comes to tools, buying the best you can afford (you get to decide on the criteria for 'best') is a pretty good way to go. Get the best basic machine you can afford, and then go a little slower on the tooling and extras that you want. You can add extras a little at a time, but the basic machine is going to stay with you for a long time. Going undersized is not the best way to save money.

I ordered this too

Mine arrives wenesday! Replacing my old atlas and my 7 by 10 with it.

I just finished installing a Newall C80 DRO on my 1 month-old Grizzly G9733 (their flagship 15x50 lathe). Initial tests with some 2" 4140 prehard, CNGG inserts, and a Mitutoyo digital mic show that the machine can hold 2 tenths easily.

Grizzly's come a long way since the early 80s and I can vouch for them on both ends of the price spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Zumba View Post
    I just finished installing a Newall C80 DRO on my 1 month-old Grizzly G9733 (their flagship 15x50 lathe). Initial tests with some 2" 4140 prehard, CNGG inserts, and a Mitutoyo digital mic show that the machine can hold 2 tenths easily.

Grizzly's come a long way since the early 80s and I can vouch for them on both ends of the price spectrum.

I hope this holds true with the 10x22, I wonder what the make of it is, it looks alittle like both the jet and the sieg.

chris

Well, the 10x22 won't hold 2 tenths. You get what you pay for... the G9733 cost close to 13K shipped.

But for the price, I think the 10x22 is hard to beat, and when you buy from Griz, it's less of a gamble. If you have any problems, their customer service responds pretty quickly to emails.

I used to hold Jet in higher regard but they've slipped in the last few years. Quality control is not as good and their distribution network is a mess.

Well, the 10x22 won't hold 2 tenths. You get what you pay for... the G9733 cost close to 13K shipped.

But for the price, I think the 10x22 is hard to beat, and when you buy from Griz, it's less of a gamble. If you have any problems, their customer service responds pretty quickly to emails.

I used to hold Jet in higher regard but they've slipped in the last few years. Quality control is not as good and their distribution network is a mess.
    I would be happy if it did, but I will live with a modest .001

chris

Glad to see some movement on this thread. More so, glad to see others buying the product.

As always, you get what you pay for. I would never compare a $1k machine to a $13k setup - but clearly they are for different markets.

To my way of thinking - 10x22 with a company that will stand behind it is a bargain at this price.

I actually got mine BEFORE the shipment arrived. I was told for two weeks that they were on backorder till 2/22, but on the second call, the agent said that if I put in a "dummy" order (just give zip code), she could see how many are waiting, etc. When we did, it showed she actually had one that they could ship - so I placed the order (on Thursday) and it arrived on Monday.

Please - everyone please keep adding to this thread. Being a new machine, we will likely need to know about each other's experiences.

Glad to see some movement on this thread. More so, glad to see others buying the product.

As always, you get what you pay for. I would never compare a $1k machine to a $13k setup - but clearly they are for different markets.

To my way of thinking - 10x22 with a company that will stand behind it is a bargain at this price.

I actually got mine BEFORE the shipment arrived. I was told for two weeks that they were on backorder till 2/22, but on the second call, the agent said that if I put in a "dummy" order (just give zip code), she could see how many are waiting, etc. When we did, it showed she actually had one that they could ship - so I placed the order (on Thursday) and it arrived on Monday.

Please - everyone please keep adding to this thread. Being a new machine, we will likely need to know about each other's experiences.
    I would still like to know who makes it, sieg, jet or other, and if the specs are what they really list.
    chris

It's not a Sieg, I don't think. You can see the Sieg lathes here.... http://www.siegind.com/

Jet doesn't make any tools. They just import them.

It's not a Sieg, I don't think. You can see the Sieg lathes here.... http://www.siegind.com/

Jet doesn't make any tools. They just import them.
    Yeah i just use them as the reference, I really don't know who makes them, Seig makes other things they don't post on their web, trust me I go there often and look. if I were to take an educated guess I would say its of jet hertiage.

chris

Mine arrived today!!! Looks very nice, haven't had a chance to move it into the shop, but im cleaning it off and going thru the manuels.

Packaging was a bit flimsy, less than i would expect for a lathe of this size and wieght, i think im lucky it didn't get damaged in transit, the wood pallet it rests on was almost completely broken.

Pixs up soon.

[QUOTE=Legion99999;268984]

Packaging was a bit flimsy, less than i would expect for a lathe of this size and wieght, i think im lucky it didn't get damaged in transit, the wood pallet it rests on was almost completely broken.

Mine was the same - box damaged but contents perfect. If they start getting a bunch of damaged machines to replace, they will beef up the containers (but probably not until then).

Re 10X20

For what it is worth I have a friend with a older 9X19? or 20?. He complains about the lead screw being quite worn. He is retired and uses the lathe and a Grizzly benchtop mill quite a bit to make model 2 and 4 cycle gas engines. Despite his complaints about the lead screw and the problems with a round column mill he turns out fantastic work. Because of inspiration from him I want to make a model of a ford flathead V8 but I am having trouble finding any plans. Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack F View Post
    For what it is worth I have a friend with a older 9X19? or 20?. He complains about the lead screw being quite worn. He is retired and uses the lathe and a Grizzly benchtop mill quite a bit to make model 2 and 4 cycle gas engines. Despite his complaints about the lead screw and the problems with a round column mill he turns out fantastic work. Because of inspiration from him I want to make a model of a ford flathead V8 but I am having trouble finding any plans. Jack.
    Not exactly a flathead, but sure looks cute:

http://www.jerry-howell.com/V-Four.html

That Grizzly lathe looks to me like a Lathemaster 9x30 with a quickchange threading gearbox added:

http://www.lathemaster.com/LATHEMASTER9x30Lathe.htm

If so, it should be an excellent lathe. The Lathemasters are really excellent machines, and there is no comparison between this variety and the "regular" 9x20 lathes. These lathes are copies of the Emco Compact 8's, which are a well made European lathe.

You may find it worthwhile to check out the Yahoo Lathemaster Group:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/lathemaster/

and also the Yahoo 8x18 group (fundamentally the same Enco knock off with a shorter bed):

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/8x18Lathe/

Best,

BW

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post
    Not exactly a flathead, but sure looks cute:

http://www.jerry-howell.com/V-Four.html

That Grizzly lathe looks to me like a Lathemaster 9x30 with a quickchange threading gearbox added:

http://www.lathemaster.com/LATHEMASTER9x30Lathe.htm

If so, it should be an excellent lathe. The Lathemasters are really excellent machines, and there is no comparison between this variety and the "regular" 9x20 lathes. These lathes are copies of the Emco Compact 8's, which are a well made European lathe.

You may find it worthwhile to check out the Yahoo Lathemaster Group:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/lathemaster/

and also the Yahoo 8x18 group (fundamentally the same Enco knock off with a shorter bed):

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/8x18Lathe/

Best,

BW

I would agree with you execpt the chuck mounts entirely different. And it has a 1" through hole in the spindle.

chris

Page 1 of 9 123