Tormach Product Teaser

Tormach posted a product teaser on facebook:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	product teaser.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	356434

Any guesses?

I will start out with: attachment to add rigid tapping to PCNC 770 and 1100.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Re: Tormach Product Teaser

Better not be a next generation mill after I just bought the 1100.

On the Tormach homepage they state:
    We are currently beta testing the PCNC 440 Power Drawbar. Pending positive outcome, it should be available for purchase in March 2017.
    so this is perhaps one of the announcements.
    As they mentioned a "Couple of announcements" it doesn't sound to be anything big. On the other hand there are a couple of interesting products in the pipeline, but it's anyone's guess when we'll see them.
    Interestingly, the PathPilot version has now reached 1.9.8 and they only appear to be using single digit version numbers (so far). This is getting dangerously close to 2.0.0 but rigid tapping wouldn't justify a new major version IMHO.
    By the way, rigid tapping is fun to play with, but the last time I used it was to make the rigid tapping video. If I had to make a LOT of M2 or M3 threads I'd probably use a form tap but otherwise I still prefer thread milling.
    Step

I hope it's rigid tapping.
    But wouldn't that involve the installation of an encoder on the spindle?

Quote Originally Posted by RussMachine View Post
    I hope it's rigid tapping.
    But wouldn't that involve the installation of an encoder on the spindle?
    I have figured out a solution that's almost as good as good as rigid tapping.

It involves some editing, but it has never let me down.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I'm curious. Please tell us more.

Quote Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
    Better not be a next generation mill after I just bought the 1100.

Happened to me.

Two or three weeks after buying my Series II the Series III is announced. Biggest difference between the II and the III was the LeadShine Three Phase Steppers. Base Price difference in the machines was about $1000 and the stepper drive/motor upgrade to Series III was somewhat less than the base increase.

I was unhappy BUT since most things Tormach are upward compatible, my machine is best described as a II+. About the only thing that is still Series II is the label on the control cabinet.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    On the Tormach homepage they state: We are currently beta testing the PCNC 440 Power Drawbar. Pending positive outcome, it should be available for purchase in March 2017.
    The teaser picture is the cover plate over the PCNC440 X axis stepper, so that makes it likely that these announcements are aimed at the 440. Maybe the ATC as well?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    The teaser picture is the cover plate over the PCNC440 X axis stepper, so that makes it likely that these announcements are aimed at the 440. Maybe the ATC as well?
    Its probably the ATC. I was checking it out at Zbot last month.

My guess is the 440 ATC, I'd assume the PDB will come at the same time. I've been making and selling Power Drawbar Kits for the 440 since I bought my 440 six months ago and couldn't handle not having one. I would have bought theirs but as we all know it's not available, I just couldn't wait. They have said it's coming soon for a long time, so hopefully they both come out, and together. Next for the record, if anyone wants a 440 PBD now, just let me know, haha.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

just saw 1st announcement... it is the 440 PDB...
    guessing ATC is next?
    as an 1100 owner, I find the PDB for the 440 to be boring...
    NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

I'm still waiting for the 3+hp horizontal with a tombstone.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

It seems that they ditched the previous glued on actuation button for something that looks a little more professional. I wonder if they'll offer the new control box as a retrofit for the 770/1100.

++++++1

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    It seems that they ditched the previous glued on actuation button for something that looks a little more professional. I wonder if they'll offer the new control box as a retrofit for the 770/1100.
    From the pictures it looks to me to be a simple manually activated 5-Port pneumatic switch. If the picture represents the entire kit then it doesn't appear to include any electronics or even require electrical power. For a minimal solution this is actually all you need but (assuming this is the entire kit) this won't support the ATC without modification.
    I don't really think this is would be a step up for a 1100, but if that's what you want then I have good news - you already have it! Check on top of the PDB pneumatic switch, you'll find a small colored knob. Press it and your tool will fall out
    Step

Looking at the installation manual I believe that you are correct; it uses a manually operated valve. I just assumed that the button operated an electrical valve when using the PDB without the ATC rather like the 770/1100 design.

Anyone needs IKO, NSK, THK, TBI, CPC, PMI, CSK, STAF, ABBA, HIWIN, SCHNEEBERGER linear guides ball screws supplier/exporter
    Here I am.
    And I can help send goods to your office via DHL/TNT/UPS/FedEx, etc.

Regards,
    Andy Lee

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    I'm still waiting for the 3+hp horizontal with a tombstone.
    The PCNC 1100 works well now but would be an amazing machine if it had 3 horsepower.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I replaced that stupid membrane switch thing with a 22mm latching pushbutton switch, mounted in a hole on the front of the spindle door.

Push the button in, latches the PDB open. Replace the tool, push the button again to close it. Looks better.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    I replaced that stupid membrane switch thing with a 22mm latching pushbutton switch, mounted in a hole on the front of the spindle door.

Push the button in, latches the PDB open. Replace the tool, push the button again to close it. Looks better.
    Sounds better also, got pitchers n' details?

gary

Page 1 of 2 12