586,072 active members*
4,681 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Huanyang spindle motor ground

Huanyang spindle motor ground

I am getting ready to wire up a Huanyang 1.5KW 110V spindle motor and wonder what to do with the ground pin. The motor uses 3 wires, but it has a 4 pin connector. The limited motor documentation says that pin 4 is "earth wire". However, it appears to be completely isolated from the case and the other 3 wires.

I ordered some 3 wire 16ga shielded cable that is a bit too large to fit through the connector that came with the motor. It is a perfect diameter if I remove the outer jacket and clamp around the braided shield. This would ground the spindle sleeve and it would end up grounding my entire aluminum CNC router.

Should I leave pin 4 floating and ground the spindle at the connector? Or should I find a way to just ground what appears to be a floating pin 4 on the motor?

thanks
    Steve

Re: Huanyang spindle motor ground

Normally you would connect the motor ground to the ground lug on the VFD. The ground lug on the VFD should also be connected to machine/panel ground, which should ultimately be connected the Earth via your shop electrical service.

Quote Originally Posted by steve323 View Post
    I am getting ready to wire up a Huanyang 1.5KW 110V spindle motor and wonder what to do with the ground pin. The motor uses 3 wires, but it has a 4 pin connector. The limited motor documentation says that pin 4 is "earth wire". However, it appears to be completely isolated from the case and the other 3 wires.

I ordered some 3 wire 16ga shielded cable that is a bit too large to fit through the connector that came with the motor. It is a perfect diameter if I remove the outer jacket and clamp around the braided shield. This would ground the spindle sleeve and it would end up grounding my entire aluminum CNC router.

Should I leave pin 4 floating and ground the spindle at the connector? Or should I find a way to just ground what appears to be a floating pin 4 on the motor?

thanks
    Steve
    Bad choice Ground is there to protect you, and your spindle, your spindle needs a Ground

It is very common the 4th pin is not connected with these spindles, what you have to do is take the top off the spindle and connect the Ground

So you need to have a 4 wire shielded cable, this cable from IGUS CF35-15-04 16 Gauge CF35-07-04 18 Gauge

You need to fix the Spindle Ground before you power it up
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Bad choice Ground is there to protect you, and your spindle, your spindle needs a Ground

It is very common the 4th pin is not connected with these spindles, what you have to do is take the top off the spindle and connect the Ground

So you need to have a 4 wire shielded cable, this cable from IGUS CF35-15-04 16 Gauge CF35-07-04 18 Gauge

You need to fix the Spindle Ground before you power it up
    Thanks for the feedback Jim and Matec54.

I opened up the end of the motor and it is a floating connector. I will add the internal lug to protect myself in case one of the wire motors shorts to the frame. It makes perfect sense now.

Steve