586,123 active members*
3,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

6040 CNC Router Stepper Motor Help!

Hello group, First question is should a stepper motor have some rough spots when rotating by hand? I know I can fill the different degrees by hand but if I spin it real fast by hand I can feel some places are more rough feeling. Does this mean that the motor is bad? The x axis moves freely when the motor is off of the machine but with the motor on the machine it has rough spots. What got me looking at this is I was running a program and the toolpath was all over the place. I don't think it is the controller. Does anyone know where to get a new stepper motor?

Stepper Motor: 57HD5401-14SB 1.8degrees 3. OA N1405

Does anyone know what NEMA number this is and how to interpret what the motor is?

Thanks in advance.
    Eric

Re: 6040 CNC Router Stepper Motor Help!

Quote Originally Posted by ecope View Post
    Hello group, First question is should a stepper motor have some rough spots when rotating by hand? I know I can fill the different degrees by hand but if I spin it real fast by hand I can feel some places are more rough feeling. Does this mean that the motor is bad? The x axis moves freely when the motor is off of the machine but with the motor on the machine it has rough spots. What got me looking at this is I was running a program and the toolpath was all over the place. I don't think it is the controller. Does anyone know where to get a new stepper motor?

Does anyone know what NEMA number this is and how to interpret what the motor is?

Thanks in advance.
    Eric
    Not sure on roughness, but doesn't sound good.

Nema is just the physical size of the mounting, so replace with the same size.

There are various parameters for power, but main ones are the holding torque and amps etc. Lots of information on the net, though it can be confusing at times.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Quote Originally Posted by ecope View Post

Thanks in advance.
    Eric
    I am not sure if u found the problem but from what u r describing sounds like u may need to check your ball screw . The ball screw on these Chinese made machines are not really ball screws but they r more of a "t" (trapezoidal)thread used as a ball screw and the thread may have a different pitch diameter in that spot along the screw. Please let me know if you have found this problem and if so what was it