586,375 active members*
3,489 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > What determines available router cutting area size, besides physical design?

What determines available router cutting area size, besides physical design?

I feel embarrassed to ask this , but as a CNC noob I have never understood if you program software like Mach3 to compensate for different sizes of CNC router tables .
    I typically see router tables with sizes like 4'/4' , or 4'/8' .

I realize of course there's limit switches , but let's say you build the table so that there's 4' of X axis travel , and there's 5' of Y axis travel .
    Seeing as you've got an odd number of feet on the Y axis , does the software allow you to use all the travel , is there any limitations on which combinations of sizes you can build ?
    Say at a later date you wanted to add 6 more feet of extrusion ,gear rack, cables and parts etc to make the Y axis of the gantry travel 11' .
    Would that just be a setting in the software to make it understand that there's 11' of Y axis available?

Re: What determines available router cutting area size, besides physical design?

You just set the size in software. It doesn't care. You could have a table 11000mm by 75.6mm if you wanted.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Re: What determines available router cutting area size, besides physical design?

You really don't even need to tell the software what size the machine is, unless you want to prevent it from crashing into it's stops.
    The g-code dictates where the part is located, and where the machine needs to move to cut it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)